Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is gonna be a very noob question. It's my first mustang, so I don't have a clue. It could be because I'm learning manual in the car as well. Anyways to the point now, when I go into first gear and move the car, I find it very hard to do it smoothly, the car always jumps everytime I go into first gear, is the pedal suppose to feel very tight when I press it? Sorry guys I know its a very bad question.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
you probably have an aftermarket clutch which is stiffer and harder to learn as there is a much smaller gap in between neutral and in gear fully vs a stock style clutch. It will take getting sued to. The jumping is mainly due to not enough gas, try a bit more gas even though the rpms will be higher you can learn the sweet spot.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Hey guys, this is gonna be a very noob question. It's my first mustang, so I don't have a clue. It could be because I'm learning manual in the car as well. Anyways to the point now, when I go into first gear and move the car, I find it very hard to do it smoothly, the car always jumps everytime I go into first gear, is the pedal suppose to feel very tight when I press it? Sorry guys I know its a very bad question.
Are you talking about the throttle or the clutch?

The title says "throttle cable", but your post sounds more like a "clutch" issue.

If you are talking about the throttle cable, then it may have a bur on it or be pinched somewhere.
If you are talking about the clutch then SpectorV has you covered.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's more of the throttle cable I'd think because I find it Very hard to push down the gas pedal, its tighter than usual, maybe its suppose to be like that? No matter what when I start off in first gear my car literally launches because its very hard to push lightly on the pedal. It is my first mustang and I'm not used to it because I used to drive an Integra.

I'm thinking its the cable but maybe its something else?

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
It's more of the throttle cable I'd think because I find it Very hard to push down the gas pedal, its tighter than usual, maybe its suppose to be like that? No matter what when I start off in first gear my car literally launches because its very hard to push lightly on the pedal. It is my first mustang and I'm not used to it because I used to drive an Integra.

Check your cable return spring.
Maybe someone installed one that is to heavy.

Moving up to a more powerful car and learning to drive a manual at the same time will take a bit of learning and adjustment. :good:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had a problem with this when i got mine, it would suck and i would look stupid. I just stuck it out and became one with my clutch. I just learned to cope with it, but i also knew that nothing was wrong with mine. Also i have a hurst shifter. Now i can do my cluch/gas combo so good it wont do that.

·
Registered
333 Posts
88foxstang said:

I know what you're talking about...mine does the same thing and I've driven standards my whole life! I think it's the throttle cable but not sure yet as I haven't had time to check into it.
On mine it feels like you have to put like 15lbs of pressure on the gas peddle just to get it to move and and went it does move it's real choppy, feels like it's hanging on something. Shifting from first to second letting off the gas doesn't drop the rpm's like it should either so I'm almost positive it the throttle cable!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts