Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 V6 auto with 54,000 miles. Late last summer I began hearing a thumping noise seeming to come from the left rear, then a few weeks later the same noise coming from both rear sides when driving on rough roads or hitting a bump. Seems suspension related. It sounded to me like the rear shocks were worn out, so I bought two new Motorcraft factory style replacement shocks, installed them and still had the same noise. I put the car up on my lift and examined any possible problems....bad bushings in the locating arms, sway bar, etc. Nothing appeared loose....exhaust system, fuel tank, etc. I took everything out of the trunk that could possibly rattle, drove the car.....noise still present. Noise is definitely louder in very cold weather. Anyone have a similar or same problem? or suggestions?

·
Registered
621 Posts
I know that you said that you checked everything it if sure sounds like end link or sway bar bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks...the bushings did not appear cracked or loose, and I did pull on it. But as I now think about it.....the car was on my lift and the rear axle/sway bar was hanging which would make it difficult to move. I suppose I can go back and disconnect the rear sway bar and see if the noise disappears. Thanks for the insight..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did disconnect the links and drove the car. No thumping noise. So definitely the problem is with the sway bar. Are the bushings easy to change? Anyone recommend good aftermarket bushings?

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
simple enough I used energy suspension brand. Before you order measure diameter of sway bar (mm) I suggest black rather than red as the black ones have graphite in them.

hint: I used a vise and blocks of wood to get the bushings into the links it is easier on this part with an extra set of hands thx Rob!

·
Registered
621 Posts
simple enough I used energy suspension brand. Before you order measure diameter of sway bar (mm) I suggest black rather than red as the black ones have graphite in them.

hint: I used a vise and blocks of wood to get the bushings into the links it is easier on this part with an extra set of hands thx Rob!

Another fun project! Be sure to use plenty of grease.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks very much, I appreciate the help. I'll get the bushings soon. Probably won't have any trouble.....I've changed them on other cars in the past. Great to know about the black bushings with graphite impregnated.....that's what I'll get.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts