Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently started hearing a tick when my is cold, and goes away after I drive a bit. Is this common? It sounds like the ignitor tick, only it doesn't do it when the car gets going a bit. I'm going to take it in to get it looked at, and check the oil level. Any thoughts? This is a 2013 gt with 7.000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
My car ticks when cold but it has 160000 on it. I'd definitely take it in to get looked at. I've heard of the new ones drinking some oil so maybe its just low. I'd be checking that asap.

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jdavis96gt said:
My car ticks when cold but it has 160000 on it. I'd definitely take it in to get looked at. I've heard of the new ones drinking some oil so maybe its just low. I'd be checking that asap.
First thing tomorrow morning I'm getting it checked out.

·
Banned
228 Posts
I had the same problem

It was half a quart low and If u get on your car the first 1k miles
It will cause that too
Gotta break her in right man

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GE3G said:
Vvti dude its normal at idle
This isn't normal. Its not just at idle and it speeds up during acceleration but it seems to go away when warm. We will see. I hope your right. The sound doesn't bother me, just worried about bigger issues.

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked today after that car was warm and I still hear the tick. It's very faint, but still there. I'm ok with the sound, as Lon as its not a major problem. Cunfusing : /

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Mikeyt03 said:
I checked today after that car was warm and I still hear the tick. It's very faint, but still there. I'm ok with the sound, as Lon as its not a major problem. Cunfusing : /
Same here man, i was just with Mc Queen and my 13 does it, not his my engine is also louder at idle

·
Registered
525 Posts
Im not sure on the 5.0,,but the 4.6,,the camshafts are the last to get the oil,,so most will tick a little before warm up,,but if you hear after its warm i would get it looked at..We have a whole fleet of 5.0 f150,,they are under warranty so we dont work on them yet,,we had a few with ticking after it got warm ,,a couple turn out to some lifter issues,,and one had something to do with something on the front cover,,but the dealer fixed them

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
What octane are you ticking guys using? There's a guy I roll with, he's got a '13 and was using 89 and had a ticking sound. He's since been through a couple of tanks of 93 and its gone away.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
primer2tone said:
What octane are you ticking guys using? There's a guy I roll with, he's got a '13 and was using 89 and had a ticking sound. He's since been through a couple of tanks of 93 and its gone away.
+11. I would try running some 92 or better and see if it goes away!..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mikeyt03 said:
I just recently started hearing a tick when my is cold, and goes away after I drive a bit. Is this common? It sounds like the ignitor tick, only it doesn't do it when the car gets going a bit. I'm going to take it in to get it looked at, and check the oil level. Any thoughts? This is a 2013 gt with 7.000 miles on it.
What weight oil are you using? I have seen a lot of post on here about people using heavier or thicker oil than what is recommended. Usually if the tick is from low octane you will not hear it at idle, and at least from my experience. I know low oil or wrong weight oil will cause this when cold. If it continues after it warms up it was could be a bad lifter. Keep us posted I have 5k miles on my 13 GT and haven't heard it yet so I have my figures crossed. I am running 93 octane from shell in it mostly.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My father in laws mustang was doing that also. He was using regular gas. He switched to 93 and it went away and the car runs smoother.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
13StangGT said:
What weight oil are you using? I have seen a lot of post on here about people using heavier or thicker oil than what is recommended. Usually if the tick is from low octane you will not hear it at idle, and at least from my experience. I know low oil or wrong weight oil will cause this when cold. If it continues after it warms up it was could be a bad lifter. Keep us posted I have 5k miles on my 13 GT and haven't heard it yet so I have my figures crossed. I am running 93 octane from shell in it mostly.
I believe it started when tje dealer put 5w50 on my car this Friday

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
13StangGT said:
I use 5w30.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts