Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i struggeled with my car today to get it to start and i finally did. Well i heard a ticking noise when i got it to start. It sounded like a lifter. But then i drove it a little and it went away!!! So I am not knowing what to do about it if its anything or if its all good?

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
If it goes away after driving for a bit it is probably a collapsed lifter. As you drive your lifter fills with oil and the noise goes away. If you have a high mileage car you could start using a higher viscosity oil and that might quiet the lifter some and they also make additives that will quite valve train noise. The best thing is to replace all the lifters.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
it's a bomb! get rid of it, quick!

lol jp, corey is probably right

he usually is

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does that mean that the lifter is still working?

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
mine alwasy make noise from the day it was new it goes away after it gets warm or just a min or two of driving. its what was mentioned above. the v6 valve train is just noisy, 1.8 rr's are supposed to help.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
ok this is old but i need help also.
My 98 stang has 94,ooo miles on her now, there is a slight ticking on the pass side of the engine. cold / warm does not matter still ticks. also lately i have seen that my driver side tip (I have dual pipes out the side for my exhaust) is BLACk and my car is not runnin on all its HP. when I "get on the gas" its kinda slugish and cuts out a little bit. my light (check engine) was on, and said that Bank 2 was lean. (after talkin to Rick via PM he said my O2 senser was out that would cause my engine to run rich? ) what can i do/ change to keep my HP and sound better? Cause it sounds like crap right now.... (whats the price range u think i will have to spen also? I work for a cardealer..) thanks for all your guys help. also u can hit me up on AIM anytime also if yo uneed to.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
possibly an exhaust leak....maybe even leaking from the 02 , but i would replace the bad 02, and check for exahust leaks, or it maybe a valve tappin

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
could be worse could be a lifter taping, rocker arm, who knows might be time for a rebuild

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
SpectorV said:
could be worse could be a lifter taping, rocker arm, who knows might be time for a rebuild
:done: haha dane thats lots of money for a rebuild.. but also this smile should be "GIT-R-DONE" Larry the cable guy.:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I think Corey's 98 has a lot more miles on it than yours does, and his bottom end is still original, you might want to try some engine additives, but still, first thing you need to do is to get that engine running correctly, you aren't running lean, from the description you gave me you are definitely running rich on that bank, that bad O2 sensor is telling the computer its lean, so the computer is trying to enrich the mixture, that is why its running rich, too rich a mixture can even cause stuff like valvetrain damage, I thought you were going to take care of this a while ago?? Here is a test for a VERY rich mixture: Pull your dipstick, smell your oil, does it smell like gasoline? If it does your mix is so rich that raw gas is seeping past the piston rings and going into the engine oil pan, this can cause all sorts of problems by thining out your engine oil, also as soon as the problem is corrected, do an oil and filter change if this is the case, get that oil out of there!

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Hey rick, yeah i got your PM's I am lookin at o2 but I work all the time now (98hrs this pay check thats only at carmax) i have new oil and waitin on getting that o2. I was want to get rid of the ticking on the pass side of the engine. i dont know almost anything on a engine...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts