Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well tax time is around the corner and the wife and i agreed to supercharge my car. a few concerns and questions i have are:

1 which kit to go with the ati procharger, or vortech
i have stock engine with 50,000 miles on it and no upgrades
2 if i should go with the ati kit will my engine withstand 11psi
3 i know the vortech kit comes with fuel upgrades but i haven't seen one of them with a intercooler yet, so if i go with the vortech how can i intercool the system
4 if i go with the procharger kit what fuel management systems do you guys recommend. and what other upgrades do you think i will need
5 last but not least where, or is it possible to get this done with about 3200-3700 dollars

·
Registered
126 Posts
i would help but im scared to lie. no 11 psi better fuel upgrades will probably be needed any way thats all i got.... i believe you will need to do engine upgrades for 11 psi.at least pistons. could be wrong. is this a gt or 6

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
get the procharger 11 psi, it comes intercooled. then buy a svt focus 300 lph fuel pump, 42 lb injectors, 70mm maf. and be sure to get a good tune. your engine will be able to handle it, if you do the neccasery fuel upgrades.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
go procharger with intercooler and DONT get a chip and fuel pump upgrade just get the 11 psi and buy your own fuel pump/maf/injectors/and make SURE you get a dyno tune!

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
SpectorV said:
go procharger with intercooler and DONT get a chip and fuel pump upgrade just get the 11 psi and buy your own fuel pump/maf/injectors/and make SURE you get a dyno tune!
To get a dyno tune, he's going to need some sort of chip or something. :uhh:

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
well i ment no mail order chip and dont expect that pos they send you with teh kit to be worth a crap.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you want my advice and you want to get the most bang for your buck I would go with a turbo kit. But on the other side SC's are cheaper but make sure that you don't put to much PSI through because your stock engine will handle it for a while but it will wear down eventually and then............6er parts everywhere :cry:

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
turbos' are badass on the six, but the problem with them is that you will fail inspection with an aftermarket turbo, well atleast in cali

·
Registered
349 Posts
Mjcorn23 said:
Why does it fail in Cali?
California requires most, if not all, aftermarket performance items to be approved for use in California, that's the carb number he's talking about. BTW, carb stands for California Air Resources Board.

Most Texans don't have to worry much about that.

Steve

·
Registered
89 Posts
I looked at both procharger and vortech. Yes you want an intercooler for sure (air to air). One major difference is with the vortech you tap into your oil pan and it shares oil with your engine (I liked that). Where as the procharger has it's own oil supply (good if you don't want to tap into your oil pan - but bad because you have to keep up with and change one more thing - procharger's oil - and it has less supply).
You can get a vortech with no intercooler and get with Justin at velocitymustangperformance.com. He fabricates intercoolers to go with vortechs. You can also pick up a used vortech reasonably cheap (kit for around $1500.) With intercooler and tubing from Justin I think you would still be within your price range.

You will need a chip and I don't know about 11psi without forged internals. Sounds borderline dangerous to me. I think 8-9psi would be safer. I did see an 00 v6 with procharger set at 8psi make 305 rwhp so you should see noticable gains! I would expect a vortech as stated above to be right in that range as well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i'm most likely going to go with the procharger 7 psi kit it is my daily driver and that should give me around 300 hp not sure how much torque.

i'm going with the:
procharger 7psi intercooled kit
255lph fuel pump
30lb / hr fuel injectors
custom tuned computer chip ( diablo, or sct ) not sure witch one

i will get this and install it when i get my tax returns

let me know what you guys think

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sounds pretty similar to what I'm planning. I'm still debating whether to go 7 or 11psi. Depends on how much everything is gonna cost. I'm planning to put in 4.10 gears and t-lok also (auto-Yeah, I know, but I'm learning to live with it. :lol: ). I'll probably go with 7psi because I don't see myself doing anything with the internals at this point in time. :cool:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thats the reason i went with the 7psi kit
plus in the future i can always upgrade to the 11 psi kit
as a daily driver the 7psi kit should make me happy ( for now )
you know how that goes

·
Registered
89 Posts
Forgive me if I am wrong but all you have to change to go from 7-11 psi is the pulley and belt. :confused: If so, you should go ahead and get the 11 psi set up and have the car dyno tuned at the higher psi even if you drive it normally with the lower psi. Just my take on it and what I have heard.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts