Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok since I put the headers on the car I have noticed the floorboards are getting a little warm. Maybe the headers are too efficent for the y pipe set up I have. Anyway I am thinking of getting a custom fabbed, O/R H or X, what do you guys think :confused: I am leaning torwards the X pipe.

·
Registered
941 Posts
if you are feeling warmth from the exhaust, something is wrong. go check clearances and if any pipes are touching your floorpan, have it fixed immediately. many a car has gone up in smoke because of ghetto exhausts causing carpet fires. same for n2o systems with no fuse.

6 bangers don't benefit from the cross over effect like the v8's do, and i'm sure you can find the tech behind it if you search around, but i don't feel like spelling it all out. the firing order is different and hence we don't gain that much from h and x pipes. personally, i think they still help a little more than physics say because all the quick n/a v6 guys have o/r h's but maybe that's just a coincidence.

until you are deep into mods and you go cam/heads/intake and whatnot, i'd just get a gt take off and be happy. honestly, it's all you need unless you decide to go with a blower or n2o. what are your plans, budget, etc.?

·
Registered
38 Posts
V8 have a dual firing order while V6's dont. because of this we dont need to crossover tube to equalize exhaust pressure. thus getting an X or H pipe wont really offer any power gains. instead what they do for the V6 (as well as V8's) is change the sound. the X pipe will give your car a higher, more raspy tone to it. its a pretty aggressive sound IMO. the H pipe will give it a lower, deeper tone and is more of a "dont think about messin with my car cause i got some power under the hood" kind of sound.

honestly, i would rather go with the H pipe because the V6 has a raspy enough exhaust note. the H pipe will help to balance it out. plus, instead of buying a H pipe from a manufacturer, just have a muffler shop fab one for you in like 20 minutes for a total of $30 or so. it majorly cheap and does the same thing. thats just my $.02

·
Registered
941 Posts
Concordium said:
plus, instead of buying a H pipe from a manufacturer, just have a muffler shop fab one for you in like 20 minutes for a total of $30 or so. it majorly cheap and does the same thing. thats just my $.02
note that only experienced welders can fab a beneficial h pipe.... and that a true h pipe is BEFORE the cats. an "equalizer tube" (let's call it) is after the cats and doesn't have the same effect a real h can.

the fastest n/a 3.8 guys run o/r h's... coincidence or is something still fishy?

·
Registered
38 Posts
granted that its not a TRUE H pipe. it still does the same thing as a regular H pipe. it will still change the sound a bit. for $30-$50 id say go for it. but thats just me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts