Mustang Evolution Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Looking to order the SVE 5 Lug disc brake conversion kit from LMR as soon as they come back into stock. What I don't know is, what is the widest 17" wheel I can get in the rear and with what back spacing?

I'm kind of held up now. Dropped the rear end out to paint it. I have stifflers jacking rails and web bracing to install but cant get them in until I get the rear end back in. Once the rear is back in I'll have to wait to get the torque arm and PHB in now that engine out waiting for the 347 to get finished.

Probably gonna break down and order the MM tubular K member. My concern is that I've read many different post where guys say the ride is worse with COs then with conventional struts and others say it better.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
You will love the tubular k member. I put in a UPR one and the weight you drop from the front end is great, cleans up the whole area, access is better and you get to adjust the front end much easier. Now I don't daily it but I do drive mine on the street and it is ok.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
UPR K is definitely light. UPR K and move the battery to the trunk and delete a few other things like AC, power steering and power brakes (MM makes a real nice manual conversion kit) and you'll knock damn near 100lbs off the nose. Trade in the iron heads for aluminum and that's another 50-75lbs.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ordered the MM K member kit. The SVE 5 Lug conversion kit is still out of stock at LMR. In the mean time I want to install c clip eliminators on the housing while I'm waiting. The 5 lug kit is SVE 94-04 version. My question is, do I order C clip eliminator kit for the 94-04 or for the 87-93. 94-04 has the billet brake caliper bracket and the 87-93 kit does not.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
If you are going to be using 94-98 axles then I'd assume SN95 but I couldn't tell you 100%. Remember that the 99-04 stuff is a little different if you wind up using any of that. I mean as far as the width of the rear unit and the axles themselves. The rest of it should be the same as the 94-98 units minus the Cobra stuff which uses different caliper brackets and different brackets that actually attach the caliper brackets to the axle.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Painted the PHB, Torque arm and cross member. Pretty disappointed with AM. The website showed the MM K member and control arms in stock when I ordered them. Then I received and email saying they were on back order. Still shows they are in stock. Not Cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
AM seems to have made some changes in the past couple of years... Likely aimed at improving their bottom line.

You're making good progress on this project! :thumb:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I talked to AM and it looks like the K-member is supposed to ship out on the 9th. Getting the 5 lug conversion/Cobra brake kit all the way around from North Racecars. Gonna have good weather this week so gonna try and paint the under body this weekend. Going with a paintable rubberized under coat. I think I'm going with gray. When the new axles get here I'll install the C clip eliminators and get the rear suspension back in. I haven't picked out springs yet. I'm guessing I'll need to call MM to figure them out.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
I'd have told them to pound sand and that they aren't getting anymore business and just bought direct from MM or seen who else has it in stock. AM is not the only retailer.

But at least its not TOO long of a wait... as long as it does ship out on the 9th. Did you at least demand rush shipping?

Yes, call MM to get a spring recommendation. They actually know what they are talking about, it isn't just some $12/hr CSR like AM has now who has pretty much 0 clue. Those are the same ppl responsible for sending out the Bama tunes too...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Received the MM K member and 4 wheel disc brakes 5 lug conversion from North Race cars this week. I haven't torn out the stock K member yet. Probably going to get it out this week. Cut axle housings for C clip eliminators. Prepping the calipers for paint. Been considering the same yellow as the rear suspension parts I painted. Im looking at the SVE Series 1 wheels in black, gold or white. Not sure how the yellow calipers will look with those wheels.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I decided that it would be quicker, more cost effective and more durable to have the K member and control arms powder coated yellow instead of painting them myself. The shop said I need to have the ball joints removed first. My question is... once they are pressed out can they be reused?
Waiting on more Eastwood 2K two part primer to finish up the calipers.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Yes. You can reinstall the ball joints after they have been pressed out. You will know if they are going to be too loose, by the way that they go back in. If they just slip right in with very little resistance, a common trick is to spot weld them to the control arm.
When I install ball joints, I put the ball joints in the freezer for a few hours, and set the control arms out in the hot sunshine before pressing in the ball joints. This shrinks the ball joints and expands the control arm, making it easier to press the joints in, while avoiding stretching of the steel control arm.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Good tip. Thanks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
This weekends plan is to install the rear end with the new 5 lug axles with C clip eliminators and Cobra rear disc brakes. Had one of my part time guys scrub the underbody with a scotchbrite pad to knock of the dirt and scuff up the surface for some paintable undercoating. After the under coating I sprayed gray anti rock chip paint over it. I've only done the back half so far. After I get the rear suspension back in I still have the jacking rails and ladder braces to weld in before I paint that area as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Picked up front K member from being powder coated. Looks good. I wish MM offered alternate colors. Maybe they do but I didn't order it from hem directly. Got to work on the rear suspension this weekend. C clip eliminator axles in. Mocked up the rear disc brakes. Looks good. Decided to paint the rotors. Pics show them not finished as of yet. Still need to remove the paint from the braking surface.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
well, not much progress as of late. Took the family on vacation and been a little busy at work. Been considering and finally have decided to add a some forced induction. I've always been impressed with the Kenne Bell blowers for a long time. Been reading up on the pros and con with centrifugal blowers as well. I'm not looking for max HP. Just something that's reliable and not terribly difficult to set up. I know that there are millions opinions but I am interested in them.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Probably better off getting a used Vortech unit as the KB as not nearly as efficient and they gave up on the old pushrod 5.0 long ago.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Probably better off getting a used Vortech unit as the KB as not nearly as efficient and they gave up on the old pushrod 5.0 long ago.
I get what you are saying. I had a couple friends with the KB back in the mid 90's and I just love the way they respond off throttle and the easy of installation
makes it appealing. There is a speed shop near me that has made arraignments to have 30 units made for the early 5.0's. I went ahead and pre-purchased one. I had already planned a small nitrous kit so I'll redirect that energy towards cooling intake air temps.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts