Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so my setup for my car is in my garage. A supercharged 347 on 91 octane. I haven't got to install my pms or methanol yet, but next week I was thinking about running some 110 race fuel at the track. How much more timing can you generally run on race fuel versus 91?

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
I don't know the amount extra you will gain. But I would think definitely a few minimun.

Do you have your wideband hooked up yet? If so make sure your af is ok and pay close attention for pinging. Also keep an eye on the plugs. But any given car/setup may react differently.

·
Pete Jones
781 Posts
Your o2 sensors may not like race fuel too much if your still running them

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Okay so my setup for my car is in my garage. A supercharged 347 on 91 octane. I haven't got to install my pms or methanol yet, but next week I was thinking about running some 110 race fuel at the track. How much more timing can you generally run on race fuel versus 91?
Usually you can get at least 2-4 degrees, sometimes more, but like the others said if it is not unleaded race fuel then your cats if you have them and O2s will be damaged.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea no cats. I still have the o2s in though. What can happen to them?

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Yea no cats. I still have the o2s in though. What can happen to them?
They get coated with the lead and it ruins the sensors.
Use some no lead octane booster instead if you want, BUT know that it will affect the tune and possibly not to the good.
That's something you would want to experiment with using the wideband & a PMS or at the tuners.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But very thing I've rea about octae boosters generally say they don't work. My brother did a lab experiment while he was in school at UTI an they only found 1 brand that raised octane more then +1. Lol

I found some unleaded 110 octane fuel I may try out though

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
But very thing I've rea about octae boosters generally say they don't work. My brother did a lab experiment while he was in school at UTI an they only found 1 brand that raised octane more then +1. Lol

I found some unleaded 110 octane fuel I may try out though
:lol: Octane boosters do work. There are countless tests, real world and lab that prove it. The best I ever used was a batch I brewed myself years ago from benzene, alcohol, peroxide......I forget the rest and I have lost the recipe :(, but it worked very well and I blew the doors off of a SS Nova with my 69 Mustang GT at a local track using it. ;)

Just remember it's going to change your "tune", so be prepared. :good:

·
Registered
915 Posts
They work, I had a jeep that went through withdrawals on 87. Put a booster or a higher octane gas and your good to go

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But even from what I read if one does work we're talking about max maybe 4 points. That doesn't really compare with 19 more in 110 vs 91

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
Blown347 said:
But even from what I read if one does work we're talking about max maybe 4 points. That doesn't really compare with 19 more in 110 vs 91
I have heard positive and negative opinions about octane booster.

I think if you can get unleaded race fuel give it Hell. But I do also think it maybe better to wait until you have your wideband and PMS installed.

Does anyone know if race fuel affects wideband readings? I swear I have read that somewhere, but don't remember. :confused:

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
I have heard positive and negative opinions about octane booster.

I think if you can get unleaded race fuel give it Hell. But I do also think it maybe better to wait until you have your wideband and PMS installed.

Does anyone know if race fuel affects wideband readings? I swear I have read that somewhere, but don't remember. :confused:
These links may tell you what to expect. You will also find that a higher octane fuel is not always what you may need and excessive advance may actually be hurting your performance. It's been awhile since I had read these and I kind of forgot a lot of the information therein.

Race Gas Tuning Chart - By the need to increase jet sizes on the unleaded fuels I have to say it will affect the wideband.
http://www.racegas.com/article/10
GASOLINE OCTANE FACTS and MYTHS

1 - 15 of 15 Posts