Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already run premium gas anyways, but does advancing the time 4 degrees in my cobra really make for a big performance gain?

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Yes. Is the short answer.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

deadsp0t said:
Yes. Is the short answer.
It will wake it up! If you have a chip it might be best to leave it be.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
It's free HP for a push rod motor. It can be advanced w/o using a light, 4 degrees is not a lot at all and you WILL be surprised at the difference. If you get any 'pinging' sound just turn it back a little. I've herd ppl claim as high as 16 degrees. Though 12-14 is more common.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Advancing the timing will definitely help.
It will provide you with quicker, smoother acceleration.
Just be sure you don't advance it to much, keep your ear tuned for any indication of detonation.

I advance mine until I hear it beginning to spark knock/detonate, then I back it off 1-2 degrees from that point.
From then on just be alert for any signs of detonation that could be caused by temperature or humidity changes or differences in fuel quality.

On my first car, when I was tuning the timing,
(Note: This was when you could get "real" high octane fuel from the gas pump or your local small airport and I didn't have any fancy tools such as a timing light to work with. :))
I would advance it until I could hear it detonate, then back it off the 1-2 degrees and go out and make a high speed, high RPM run. If it did not miss at high RPMs I was good to go, if it did I had to back it off 1-2 more degrees and make another run.

During one of those "tuning" runs I went past a Highway Patrolman running 80+ MPH in a 45 MPH zone. :eek:
I did get away that evening, but he got me the next day. Perils of living in a small town where everyone knows you. :cry:

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
It's free HP for a push rod motor. It can be advanced w/o using a light, 4 degrees is not a lot at all and you WILL be surprised at the difference. If you get any 'pinging' sound just turn it back a little. I've herd ppl claim as high as 16 degrees. Though 12-14 is more common.

I think he is talking about 4 degrees in addition to the stock 10 degrees which would put him at 14 degrees initial timing.

When people claim advancements up to 12-16 degrees they are talking about advancing the timing 2-6 degrees over the factory 10 degrees setting, not 12 to 16 degrees over the initial 10 degrees which would put them at 22 to 26 degrees timing which is way too much.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Trojan Horse said:
I think he is talking about 4 degrees in addition to the stock 10 degrees which would put him at 14 degrees initial timing.

When people claim advancements up to 12-16 degrees they are talking about advancing the timing 2-6 degrees over the factory 10 degrees setting, not 12 to 16 degrees over the initial 10 degrees which would put them at 22 to 26 degrees timing which is way too much.
Right, I was talking about actual movement of the distributor in the engine. Hope I didn't confuse anyone :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i advanced it, at first it was too much, alot of spark knock at WOT, backed it down 2 degrees, and now 1st and 2nd feel alot more robust and better mid range power

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have 15 degrees of advanced timing and I have a bama tuned sct chip. I run 93 all the time and have no issues what-so-ever...

and the motor is Hell bent on beating any gm product at the track lol

·
Registered
692 Posts
So, if I have a SCT chip I shouldn't mess with the timing then?
Depending on your tuner. I know my bama chip, when ordered, told me to leave timing at 10 degrees advanced. Whether or not the comp advances it more I dont know. I recently checked the timing on my motor and its at 15 degrees advanced. ( only because I didnt have the chip on the car at the time I put the cam in and it wouldnt run without it advanced so)

Once I put the chip on, I simply forgot to ****** the timing but since it hasnt blown up in the last 3 months, I've simply left it.

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

15 degrees with the chip, or 15 plus whatever chip does..?
15 degrees according to the harmonic balancer with the vaccuum advance pulled off.

I dont know if the chip messes with timing or not

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
wc3john said:
Depending on your tuner. I know my bama chip, when ordered, told me to leave timing at 10 degrees advanced. Whether or not the comp advances it more I dont know. I recently checked the timing on my motor and its at 15 degrees advanced. ( only because I didnt have the chip on the car at the time I put the cam in and it wouldnt run without it advanced so)

Once I put the chip on, I simply forgot to ****** the timing but since it hasnt blown up in the last 3 months, I've simply left it.

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

15 degrees according to the harmonic balancer with the vaccuum advance pulled off.

I dont know if the chip messes with timing or not
Yes the chip controls the timing and likely negates where ever the distributor is set.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts