Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my tint done and im really happy about how it looks. however there are some things that are of concern to me. first of all on the small back two windows there are some air bubbles on the dot matrixes and i was wonderinf if they disappear with the drying time or should i rub them out and tape them or something? the next thing is that there is a 4 inch fold (running horizontal) on the back defroster thing on the left hand side. its not noticable from the inside but its noticable from the outside if you stand near the car. it doesnt look hideous it just appears a light color compared to the rest of the car. i was wondering how i could get rid of this or will it not be noticable when it dries? thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
i was told you should see some hazing, and maybe a couple of bubbles for a little while. it takes about 2 weeks for the tint to fully cure.I had a few bubbles when i got mine done and they dissapeared in about a week. The 4 inch fold on the other hand i don't know what to say except bring it back in.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
take pics if you can, but yeah what he said, it will take atleast a week of full sun to get the tint to settle in all the way, but along the "dots" nothing you can do for he most part. umm u can keep pushin it on there with a heat gun but it will show.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
If you paid someone to do that, carry it back in. If I ever did a car like that I'd shoot myself. As for the dot matrix, tint cannot and will not stick to it. If the person put the tint over the back dot matrix, your back tint will eventually fall off if it is connected to that portion. There is not enough glass space on the matrix for the tint to stick. The hazing will go away in a matter of days. I retinted my passenger window 3 weeks ago and the haze was gone in less than a week.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts

Thats what mine looks like. i dont mind the dot stuff, and as for the lil bumps they will go away in the sun. (btw thats 5% done by Indy Auto Shading, INC. Ryan Dean, Fishers, IN. ;) )

·
Registered
574 Posts
My tint guy made the tint over the matrix stick pretty good. He sanded it down with (it looked like) #000 steel wool and then rubbed some acidic stuff into it to soften it up. My friend has an 00 stang with tint too and hers looks like crap compared to mine.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Normally they dont tint over the DOT Matrix portion of the back windshield due to the reason that it will not stick properly for this reason. What we have done was go to a decal shop, have them cut a long decal and install it from the inside of the rear windshield and it manages to stick properly that way since it is designed to stick to any surface. and then after afew days in the sun it will be solid black when you look at it from the outside of the car.

I have never heard of this sanding technique, sounds kinda odd... but maybe tricks of the trade!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
they tinted over the DOTs on mine. The tine they used is some kinda "heat shrink" stuff.I got a lifetime warranty with it, so if i have any problems they can bet on seeing me coming back. Sanding down the window sounds a little strange. :-? if it works it works. :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
They didn't sand the entire window.. Just over the matrix.. I'm thinking it either gave the tint a better surface to grip or just allowed the acid to soak up into the dots better... Not sure. But it looks alright. Lifetime warranty too on the back, it's all good.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
I would not Sand the dots, I have been told (lookin for proof) that the dots are there because they help the car, its keeps the car together during a wreck. (please dont flame me i have been cutting cars apart for 4 years now. :|

·
Registered
574 Posts
I can -barely- see holding the glass together.. But the entire car? :wtf: And even the glass... The glass is supposed to shatter into millions of unsharp, non-lethal glass rocks.. Not stay together. :wtf: I'm sorry, Fishers, but I'm not buying it! But please still cut me out of my car if I wreck. :|

·
Registered
800 Posts
If you want Charles to cut you out of a wreck, you better give him fair notice like 1 wk ahead of time to drive the fire truck all the way out to CAL to save your life... you may be dead by the time he gets there, but sure he will make the trip just to witness your DOTS :D

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
it does hold the glass, because Ford is gay and does not have a true frame on the mustang, they use a new process on the glass does not shatter, it will spider and stay together. give me a lil bit to get the thing, I am havin a hard time getting it. :oops:

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
The dot matrix is just for effect. The tint will keep the window from shatter more that that paint on the window, which is what it is.

The most commom thing I've heard is using latex over the dot matirx which is what I want the guy who does mine to do. I'm really not a big fan of that white looking line around the tint....Damn....why didn't Ford offer factory tint? :no:

·
Registered
800 Posts
Dom said:
Damn....why didn't Ford offer factory tint? :no:
Well this statement is kinda like " Why did it take ford so long to realize they should fill in the bumper letters on the cars? "

I mean shoot, most people end up going to get them filled in at a local decal shop anyways... :oops:

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Dom said:
The dot matrix is just for effect. The tint will keep the window from shatter more that that paint on the window, which is what it is.

The most commom thing I've heard is using latex over the dot matirx which is what I want the guy who does mine to do. I'm really not a big fan of that white looking line around the tint....Damn....why didn't Ford offer factory tint? :no:
:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :oops: :oops: :oops: I will not get started, but they do offer tint from ford.. do what you want to your windows, I am safer then u will be. :twisted:

·
Registered
176 Posts
you could aways buy those black decals to cover them up on the back window 8)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts