Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So since I got my GT about a month and a half ago I've been wanting to do the tail lights, third brake light and side markers. Well today is the day! I am about mid process right now, will post pictures later this evening!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you remove your side markers in order to tint? I want to do mine...
Yes I did, I have a delrin screwdriver/chisel tool I machined and used it to pop it out. very easy to get out, and pull the connector off and you're good to go.

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

Looks good! I like the stock gas cap painted! I thought about doing it too. Just not sure yet!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just finished it up! I was able to to use compound on the marker lights and third brake light but was iffy about scuffing and using compound on the tail lights. so they have some orange peel from the clear but nothing horrible. there are three coats of vht and 5 coats clear. came out amazing looking, but to be on the safe side I'm going to let the clear gas out for a few days before polishing.

Attachments

·
Registered
805 Posts
What did u paint the wheels with? I have chrome foose like urs and want them black like that
Are these what you had? These on mine before.

image-1656548372.jpg

And I went to auto zone and bought some high quality grey primer and then I bought gloss black and a clear coat. And a **** ton of sand paper

·
Registered
93 Posts
Are these what you had? These on mine before.

And I went to auto zone and bought some high quality grey primer and then I bought gloss black and a clear coat. And a **** ton of sand paper
Yuupp! Was that ur first time doing that? What's the process because I thought of plastic dipping mine and using a clear coat but I think ur way looks a lot better

·
Registered
805 Posts
Yuupp! Was that ur first time doing that? What's the process because I thought of plastic dipping mine and using a clear coat but I think ur way looks a lot better
. Iv done it before for my friends but here's what I did....first I cleaned all the rims spotless and hand dried every little part and sanded all the chrome tell it wasn't shinny anymore......then you take the primer and put a mist of it over the whole rim but not covering the whole thing....then you take the primer and cover all of the rim by going line by line.....you put 3 coats of primer on then sand it lightly and put one more coat of primer then use a very fine sand paper to and do it again....then do the same with your gloss but after the 3 rd coat WET SAND with a very fine paper. After that do 2 coats of clear coat and then wet sand and do ur final coat

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Just for You BEACHMONKEY100.

South Carolina Code 56-5-4510. Tail lamps required :: Lawserver

Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer and pole trailer and any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a train of vehicles shall be equipped with at least one tail lamp mounted on the rear which, when lighted as herein required, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear; provided, that in the case of a train of vehicles only the tail lamp on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just for You BEACHMONKEY100.

South Carolina Code 56-5-4510. Tail lamps required :: Lawserver

Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer and pole trailer and any other vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a train of vehicles shall be equipped with at least one tail lamp mounted on the rear which, when lighted as herein required, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear; provided, that in the case of a train of vehicles only the tail lamp on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified.
Thanks for that! I actually tested that out when my lights are lit, they are visible! this is in running/parking lights. and during the day when break lights are needed. All is visible with no problem.

I do think it came out good! It looks a lot darker than it really is because of the shade and the way the sun was going down behind the house.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I tinted my lights like this, only the bottom half

Attachments

·
Banned
102 Posts
Is it easy to do? I thought about getting the smoked housings but it seems more cost effective to just tint... anyone have smoked? Any difference?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts