Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to reply to the sticky up top... but no such luck... so here are some more tip you can use... hope you guys learn something. :good:

See this picture?

It didn't just happen. A good picture has to come from the eye of the person taking it. There are certain things you have to do, in order to get a good, crisp, high quality photo like this. And for the record, that photo was taken using less than a $300 point and shoot camera, not my $1,100 Rebel XTi SLR camera... so anybody can do it.

Time: Alright... this here, in and of itself, probably has the greatest outcome factor in how your picture will come out looking. The best times to shoot pictures comes in the "2 Golden Hours". One hour BEFORE sunrise (usually gives a nice cool color temperature), and one hour AFTER sunset (usually granting a "warmer" coloring. Oranges, Reds and yellows ABOUND). Also, if you choose to shoot in the middle of the day for something, try to catch it on a cloudy day. Clouds diffuse the normally overpowering direct light of the sun.

It is at these times of the day that the sun does not have a DIRECT lighting effect on what it is that you are trying to shoot, but yet there is still sufficient lighting to take good photos.

This photo was taken LATE in the evening...

See how there are no "sharp" shadows, everything is lit evenly, the sky isn't blown out (too bright), and everything looks "smooth"? That's what you should go for. Here is a shot from dead smack in the middle of the day:

See how you have BRIGHT spots in the sky, on the car, the cars windshield, therefore robbing the car of it's color, it's detail, and it's "texture". That's why you don't shoot in the middle of the day.

Angle: Some angles for a car are more flattering than others... but a general rule is to get the WHOLE car in a photo. Like this:

I love how my car looks from the front, and I love how this came out. Looks menacing, and aggressive.

As a Mustang guy, I usually always like to express and "exagerate" the famous Long hood of the Mustang... that second photo is the outcome. Or, you can focus on a certain detail of a car, like this:

See how with that photo, I tell you what I want you to look at, without saying anything? Exactly what I wanted to do.

Just find what works for your car... there are TONS of angles that will help you out. :)

Camera Position: Rule of thumb here... ALWAYS, ALWAYS shoot with the sun to your left, or your right... never behind you. Or you will catch yourself in the shadows, or even make the car work against you with it's OWN shadow... like this:

When the sun (if you choose to shoot in the mid-day) is to your camera left or camera right, alot of the times you can eliminate shadowing in your pictures. Like this:

The sun is to immediate camera rear left in that shot, projecting the shadow of the car AWAY from the view of the camera... perfect shot.

Here are some more examples They were taken by my great friend Chris Dornon, who is more into photography than I am... has had several features in magazines:

See how the sun has JUST set?

See how he accents (same as the Mustang?) the long hood design of the Viper?

See how he positions himself in relationship to the light source, to prevent sharp shadows, and blowing out (too bright) the car?

Hope these help you guys out. :)

Happy shooting.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
so... wanna take pics of my car? hahaha. Those look amazing.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
yeah, but the car wasn't "done" when I was down there haha.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also another good idea is to always backup your photos on a computer.
If you, or someone else you know is good at photo editing, you can really make some pictures look better when you edit brightness, tone etc.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Also another good idea is to always backup your photos on a computer.
If you, or someone else you know is good at photo editing, you can really make some pictures look better when you edit brightness, tone etc.
I wouldn't advise a computer- I keep mine on two hard drives. I used to upload them, but facebook owns the photo when you upload it, and flick takes too long to upload. At this point, I just keep them on two of my hard drives.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I wouldn't advise a computer- I keep mine on two hard drives. I used to upload them, but facebook owns the photo when you upload it, and flick takes too long to upload. At this point, I just keep them on two of my hard drives.
Screw FB :-[ Ha haaaa :thumb: I love this thread. Great write up :-D

·
Registered
699 Posts
I got somethin to add. *note these were just quick iphone shots to show what i mean.

When taking shots from the rear, stand at a distance and zoom in for better lookin pics. I'm no photographer this is just something i noticed.

First pic was taken at approx 2m away with no zoom.

Second pic was taken at approx 5m with zoom. ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1409498169.049369.jpg ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1409498213.717632.jpg

·
Banned
370 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Or maybe it's the fact that they were taken at different heights??

Great tips, here's another way to look at it. If you want a solid picture of the Eiffel Tower, do you wanna stand a few feet away? Or do you wanna stand from a distance to get its true form? That's an exaggeration of course, but applies to cars as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

1 - 20 of 31 Posts