Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to take great photographs of your ride? Here are some tips to help you get the shots that will get your car noticed.

1. Use a good camera.
Forget the disposable types and find a 35mm single lens reflex or high-quality digital camera. Disposable and "point-and-shoots" use a wide-angle view, so your subject will appear smaller than your eye sees it. With a good camera, you can get closeup shots of decks, amps, and components.

2. Buy the proper film.
The general rule is that high-speed film (the 400-800 stuff) works best for low-light shooting, like outdoor photos at night. The lower speeds (100-200) work best with a lot of light. Experiment with different F-stop settings (those numbers on the lens labeled F8, F11, etc.) — the higher the number, the smaller the opening and the less light allowed. Try taking one shot at each F-stop (usually F2.8 through F22) and make notes linking the exposure number to the F-stop. Once you get the prints back, you'll see which F-stop worked best. (Remember to note the weather, light conditions, and sun position.)

3. Clean your car.
Really.

4. Check the sky.
Shoot your photos in the early morning or early evening, when the sun is low in the sky. You want the sun to complement your car and its equipment, and not wash it out. Cloudy or overcast skies are often the best: plenty of ambient light, but no direct rays.

5. Location, location, location.
Find a spot that enhances your ride and doesn't distract from it. Park at least 15 feet from the background to create depth (this will also throw the background slightly out of focus, bringing more attention to your car).

6. Interior Shots.
Take dash photos from outside the car, using the tripod and shooting through an open window. Also try shots from the rear seats. (Shots taken from driver and front passenger seats usually suffer from lack of clarity.) Watch for any shadows from the sun coming through the windows. If it's too much, throw a dark blanket over the windshield. If you're using a flash, take your shots from an angle (rather than head-on) to avoid hot spots. Also, take one of each shot without flash. If you've got a wall of subs, show them all — pull your seats out for the shot. (And remember — if you can see fingerprints or grime on your gear, so will the camera.)

7. Developing your photos.
Most chain drug/grocery stores do a decent job on development. If you get serious, check the Yellow Pages or Internet for a reputable photo lab.

Remember your goal: grab someone's attention. Take your time, experiment with unique shots, and have fun.

From, Crutchfield.com

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
dont take pics of your car with yourself in it, no one wants to see your dumb ass... so stick to behind the camera pictures... also stupid looking girls block the car... keep them on the side lines as well, if i want to see a skimpy girl ill go to www.google.com

·
Registered
676 Posts
Remember to get low, not too low unless your car is dropped. As well as cutting your wheels(rims facing you). These two things will give it a much more agressive stance.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Wish I had read this before I took my pics !!! Great info

·
I liek gramer
8,537 Posts
Nice car. I say get rid of the date though. You could look at file properties if you need to know the date for some reason later. :)

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
try taking some out side and in the open before sun set, with the sun to the side or behind you.

Take em up until its to dark for them to be worthwhile and you can pick the best ones from em.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Almost ALWAYS a good rule to follow: Look down at your feet before you take your picture; your shadow should be (at some degree) in front of you aka sun to your back. This puts light on the side of the car you are photographing thus eliminating the shadows on your car. Sometimes for effect this does not apply:

Learn to use your camera's different settings (no auto focus sometimes) and your quality will improve greatly.

Pay attention to little things: in this shot, windows should have been up-DOH!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts