Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so since taxes are coming in soon I am going to get a new set of tires. I have the 18's on my gt so a 235 tire is what I need. I am dropping my car using the ford springs so could I get an even lower look and a thinner tire by dropping the side aspect ratio? right now I have 235/55/18 what about a 45 or 50? would I be alright for doing this since I am lowering it as well?

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Remember changing that ratio also makes the diameter different...different diameter throws off your speedo.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Going to a lower aspect ratio tire will only create more of a gap between your wheel and fender. But it will improve the cornering capabilities of you stang by decreasing sidewall movement/deflection.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I understand all of that, really I'm just wanting to know if my stock 18's will fit with the tires on there now, or get different ones. I am getting new tires soon so that's why I ask. just want to make sure they aren't going to rub!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Since you are sticking with the same width tire, you won't have any problem with changing to a lower profile tire on your current rims.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since you are sticking with the same width tire, you won't have any problem with changing to a lower profile tire on your current rims.
I noticed! I dropped it this weekend and stock tires were fine, now I'm just looking for a new set of wheels and tires.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
I sold a friend of mine my OEM 03 cobra rims/tires (the tires on the 03 model vs 05 are smaller sidewall)

The look on his dropped car was nice, made the rims look bigger. The fender gap (fender to tire gap) will be more as the height of the sidewall is of course lower.

His stock size vs a 275/45/17 if you wish to know the difference. Take the 275 * .45 = XX? thats how many MM's tall the sidewall is. I believe thats 110mm. Yours will be more and every 25.4mm is an inch.

A tuner is required to calibrate the speedo FYI.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts