Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter came over today in her 2004 Saturn vue and before she left asked me to check her tire pressure. I immediately noticed she was in need of 4 new tires and asked her if instead of buying new tires if she wouldn't mind if I put my leftover 17" mustang wheels and tires on her car to save her some money. Her tires were 235/60/17 and the mustang tires were 215/65/17. I put the two on the drivers side with no issues, same bolt pattern and no clearance issues. But as soon as I pulled it out of the garage to turn around to do the other side the tires started making a squeaking sound, not sure if that's the best way to describe it, almost sounded like when you have low tire pressure. I drove it around the block and it didn't make any noise until you turned. So I checked the tire pressure and they were at 30, her vue also recommended 30 for her tires even though they are different sizes. I even put them up to 35 and it still made the same noise. I took them off because I didn't know if the noise they were making when turning was safe or not. Are the tires too thin? People put different sizes on all the time, although it's usually to a bigger size. I haven't bought her new tires yet and was hoping someone with tire knowledge could help me out. She's 19 so she doesn't care if they make noise as long as they are safe to use. I also agree with her on that point. If you have any thoughts please let me know.

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
I suppose that it is possible that having different diameter front tires installed on the car might have been enough to throw out the alignment, causing the tire noise when the wheels are turned. I also wonder if the wheels might have different back-spacing that is affecting the alignment while turning.
I would try installing BOTH of the Mustang wheels/tires on the front of the Saturn and see if it still makes the noise.

There is a maximum load rating number on the sidewall of the tires. Make sure that the tires have a similar load rating. A Vue and a Mustang are similar in weight, so the tires should be about the same.
Aside from the smaller diameter tires affecting the speedometer reading, I don't see any problem with using the different tire/wheel combo... Providing that the car still drives safely, and, most importantly, the lug nuts seem to seat in the wheels correctly and can be given a proper torque.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lug seated in the wheels the same as they did on the mustang . They are an open ended lug nut and I could see that they were fully threaded.

·
Super Moderator
5,239 Posts
Are you running different tire sizes on drivers/passengers size?

Not good........if so I would start by mounting all 4 Stang tires and see what happens. you can run slightly different F/R except with all wheel drive

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I only put them on the driver side to see if they would fit and not have any issues.

---------- Post added at 05:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 AM ----------

I'll try all four and see if that changes anything. I obviously wouldn't run different size tires in the car as stated above I took them off after driving around my neighborhood to check the sound coming from them and the fitment. Pulled them off right after.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts