Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys I'm new to the forum and mustang world in general. I've always been a lifted truck guy but recently purchase a 2004 Mustang GT 40th anniversary with 17x10.5 rear wheels and 17x9 front wheels. Right now it is rolling on 235/55/r17 on the front and 275/50r17 on the back. I want something different and bigger on the back. I'm gonna be driving this car year round but I want good looking tires with good performance and a decent price like everybody does i guess. I've been looking at the general g-max tires but I have no clue about car tires just wondering what direction i should go with size and model of tire.

·
Premium Member
5,949 Posts
Well tire selection on a 10.5 is gonna be pretty slim. How big do you wanna go? You can fit a 315 pretty easily on the rear. Those 235s are wayyy too skinny to be on a 9" rim, it's strongly recommended to get at least a 245 or a 255 up front.

Do you have a budget and what's the weather like where you live? Nobody makes a snow tire for a 10.5" rim unfortunately and there isn't a terribly large selection of all seasons either. If you just want a sticky tire I really like my Nitto NT05s on my wheels. These are 315s in case you were wondering.

Also welcome to ME!! Post up some pictures! Are there any other mods done to the car?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Welcome!

Well if you are sticking with the 17's, what was posted above would be perfect. 255's up front and 315's out back. But if you want a bigger rim, imo 18's are about as big a rim I like to see on a new edge. What are the current mods on the car? Lowering springs? If not, get some!

·
Premium Member
18,051 Posts
All depends what you want to do. Hit up tirerack for all different tire diameters/sizes. Stock diameter is 25.6" and I would lurve to see the 275/50/17s you are running, that is a fatass sidewall street tire.

The biggest diameter I would run really would be 27" though and that would be something like a 255/45/18 up front and 275/40/18 out back. I currently run 315/35/17s out back and 265/40/17s up front and they fit fine, just too much wheel gap even though I am lowered. Probably will get some fatter sidewalls and 18" rims to fill up the wheel wells and not scape every time I go down my driveway...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I ran 275/55/17 on the rear for a while had no problems on my side

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Sports car

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
On mine currently im running 255/40 pirelli pzero and 285/40 bfgs for now. I really want 315/35 but i cant complain with the price i got for my tires

·
Premium Member
18,051 Posts
On mine currently im running 255/40 pirelli pzero and 285/40 bfgs for now. I really want 315/35 but i cant complain with the price i got for my tires
I'd rather have the higher sidewall myself. I may list my rims/tires for sale sooner than later. I'll probably put them FS while still on the car and see what happens. It can sit on jackstands for a week while new wheels come in if they sell.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I'd rather have the higher sidewall myself. I may list my rims/tires for sale sooner than later. I'll probably put them FS while still on the car and see what happens. It can sit on jackstands for a week while new wheels come in if they sell.
The higher sidewall imo sucked. Dont get me wrong the 275/55 would hook like hell when tire pressure was dropped to about 27 for track use but if you hit an incline the back tires rub up against the wheel well. Toyo proxies was what i had however the 275/55 just was too tall for my liking i looked like a monster truck with them lol

·
Premium Member
18,051 Posts
Lol not 275/55/17s... those are 29" tires jeez... I mean like a 275/40/18 is 26.6" which I know will fit well and look good and give me 1/2" more ground clearance while maintaining the lowered stance and filling in the wheel wells a bit more. Also better ride quality and less of a roller skate look.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't really want to go over $500 in the back tires I just want a decent tire that will take a little bit of snow just enough to get me home from work if I get caught in it my car has a sct custom tune BBK 78mm throttle body intake and upper plenum 3.55 gears dual flowmaster 40s x-piped I like the 315/35/17 but from what I've ready there is basically no difference in a 285/40/17 as far as diameter I'm just wondering about width I want a good looking tire this is a play car not a track car so no drag radials or anything is needed just a good street tire I priced some sumitro is today for $300 in a 315/35 I'm just wondering between the two rear sizes and what would look good on the front and not rub btw it's not lowered yet

·
Premium Member
5,949 Posts
You won't rub at all at stock ride height. Summitomo's might work for you in the snow but traction is still gonna suck.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Good looking car. I always go to discounttiredirect.com
They have the best prices and free shipping most of the time. I'll score a set of tires, and when they arrive, take em to a local shop to have them mounted and balanced.

·
Premium Member
18,051 Posts
I don't really want to go over $500 in the back tires I just want a decent tire that will take a little bit of snow just enough to get me home from work if I get caught in it my car has a sct custom tune BBK 78mm throttle body intake and upper plenum 3.55 gears dual flowmaster 40s x-piped I like the 315/35/17 but from what I've ready there is basically no difference in a 285/40/17 as far as diameter I'm just wondering about width I want a good looking tire this is a play car not a track car so no drag radials or anything is needed just a good street tire I priced some sumitro is today for $300 in a 315/35 I'm just wondering between the two rear sizes and what would look good on the front and not rub btw it's not lowered yet
The sidewall is not a set figure... ppl seem to get that mixed up a lot like a 40 will always be taller than a 35, not the case. First number is the width, the sidewall number is a percentage so a 315/35 is a sidewall 35% as tall as the 315 width. So 315x.35 vs 285x.40, take your pick. Also not all brands are created equal ESPECIALLY a Nitto. Nittos run narrow as all hell, my 315s are more like 275/285 wide to be honest which is why I don't have an issue running a 275 wide tire when I move to one more capable for street driving than a 555R. For $500 for rear all seasons the Continental Extreme Contacts are the in thing right now. They are under $250 per tire in like a 285-315 wide tire and reviews on them are great. Tirerack has them. Also if you are going to potentially be driving in cold weather even if its not ice/snow do NOT get the Sumis unless its an all season Sumi, the ones on AM are not all seasons. Drive a summer tire in the cold they get hard as fuk and have fun going around a corner in any sort of slick condition or even dry...

Good looking car. I always go to discounttiredirect.com
They have the best prices and free shipping most of the time. I'll score a set of tires, and when they arrive, take em to a local shop to have them mounted and balanced.
Discount is the shiznits but Tirerack I've never had problems with either. I generally look on both sites and see who has what. Discount will carry stuff like Nankangs and some "off" brands that Tirerack doesn't have. I also once got a screaming good deal on some Kuhmos from a site called tires-easy.com but they are a drop shipping site and I've heard some negative things from ppl. I had a good experience but I might have just got lucky.

And also yes I would HIGHLY suggest going with a discounttire/tirerack certified installer so if they eff up your rims like the jackasses on base did with a set for my wife's Honda a few years back you have recourse besides just fighting with the shop. This is one thing about LRS/AM that is so great, you can get the wheels to your door ready to go except you are limited to Summer tires for the most part.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Yeah I've realized most people don't really know tire sizes, and what they mean. Sure, there are a few people that actually know what they are talking about, but I can't tell you how many times I've gone to local shops (both mom and pop and chain) and I ask for a 315-35-17, and they show me a truck tire....lol

And I do the same price checking. Heck I'll browse the internets for a few mins looking for a 25% discount to Papa Johns before i order....lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How much is yours lowered and do you think I should go with the 295 or 315 since I'm sittin at factory height for now I do love the looks of yours I just want a good wide look.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts