Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2015 eco base. plan to lower it soon but i have just got a set of 18x8 rims from a different eco. i need to purchase tires but want a bigger tire than what came on them to reduce some of the wheel gap. was wondering what sizes everyone recommended. if you have any pics with 18x8 please post and let me kno the tire size thanks!

·
Registered
322 Posts
A 255/40-18 will give you more gap than the stock tires because it's over diameter is about 1 inch shorter. Plus 8" wide wheel is to narrow for a 255 tire.

You should play around at Tire Rack and look for a tire that is 27" or little more that is not to wide for your wheels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure I understand. 255 is to wide for 8" wide rim? My friend has the same car as me with a different set of 18x8 with 275/35 and fit fine. Probably wouldn't fit much more. But also on tire rack they say a 8" will fit 255 and 245 so I'm not sure I understand. No disrespect I'm just not sure I understand.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I'm not sure I understand. 255 is to wide for 8" wide rim? My friend has the same car as me with a different set of 18x8 with 275/35 and fit fine. Probably wouldn't fit much more. But also on tire rack they say a 8" will fit 255 and 245 so I'm not sure I understand. No disrespect I'm just not sure I understand.
Typically, 8.5" wide rim is smallest recommended with 255/40 and 8" wide when it's a 255/45. In other words the lower profile of the 255/40 doesn't want to be squeezed as much. (There are exceptions but that's generally what they show.)

Regarding the larger dia tires to reduce wheel gap, you know that will affect you speedometer and other related items right? So you would need to correct the tire size in the computer if it's above the 2 to 3% generally suggested as the max difference.

Why not just rely on the lowering to take care of it?

EDIT: You may think a 275/35 fits fine. Look up the effects of having a too wide of a tire on a rim.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok got ya. So what size am I looking at on the 18x8? A 245? And my tuner can adjust my speedo for me it's not biggie at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts