Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Horseplay said:
I got some 17x8 00 gt wheels. I know they come factory with 245 tires but what is the widest these rims can be? Is 255 the widest ?
I put a 274/40 on factory 17x8's before. They were BF's and hung past the lip a ways. They were great going straight, felt some roll in tight cornering though.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
deadsp0t said:
I put a 274/40 on factory 17x8's before. They were BF's and hung past the lip a ways. They were great going straight, felt some roll in tight cornering though.
Badass. I thought it wouldn't be possible to put wider tires on . I really wanted like 275 for the rear but I didn't know if I could .

·
Registered
595 Posts
It really depends on the tire manufacturer & the intended use. All 275's are not created equal; a 275 for one manufacturer may be harder or easier to mount than that of another. You'd have to take into account tire width, sidewall aspest ratio, sidewall stiffness, & the shoulder construction of the tire to know how it will fit & how it will look.

I would NOT recommend anything bigger than a 255 on an 8" wheel that is going to be a daily driver. You will likely be over flexing the sidewall on a street tire which could lead to premature failure and/or blow-outs. I previously ran 275/40 Hoosier A6's & Kumho V710's as autox tires on an 8" rim, but that was for competition use only & never say time on the street.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Horseplay said:
can 265 fit on my stocks ?
I have those on my 98, I was also wondering if I could run 265's on those rims. Right now I'm running 255/40 all around with 3/4 in spacers in the rear, looks pretty decent and handles great.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Horseplay said:
And for sure 275 will work for the rear right ?
No... a good shop would not mount a 275 on a 8" I don't think... I got a set of 17x9 cobra rims and there filled with 275 rubber. 255 is as far as your gonna go I think... remember that a tire heats up a lot when driving and gets flexible and could cause a slip. If you want to stagger do 245 or 225 front and 255 back or just pop for a new set of wrapped rims from AM

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

Also... what is done to your car that you need wide rubber??? My mach makes over 300 wheel and its not bad on 255 a/s. I run a 215 winter tire and in the summer I will be on a 275 sticky but I plan to track her next year... unless your pushing 350rw, I don't think your doing yourself any favours. Bigger rims and tires will also affect your braking performance. Keep that in mind.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
DaBluedude said:
No... a good shop would not mount a 275 on a 8" I don't think... I got a set of 17x9 cobra rims and there filled with 275 rubber. 255 is as far as your gonna go I think... remember that a tire heats up a lot when driving and gets flexible and could cause a slip. If you want to stagger do 245 or 225 front and 255 back or just pop for a new set of wrapped rims from AM

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

Also... what is done to your car that you need wide rubber??? My mach makes over 300 wheel and its not bad on 255 a/s. I run a 215 winter tire and in the summer I will be on a 275 sticky but I plan to track her next year... unless your pushing 350rw, I don't think your doing yourself any favours. Bigger rims and tires will also affect your braking performance. Keep that in mind.
I actually had to pay extra to have 275's put on 8" wheels years back and they would not stand behind them.

The good: Great straight line grip.
Looks fantastic.

The bad: LOTS of body roll in hard cornering. Which different sizes front to back is bad for handling any way.

When you spin them hard they balloon and the centers will wear more quickly then a tire the correct size.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DaBluedude said:

so whats your opinion, should i stick with my wheels and buy 245 and 255 tires. or should u just save up for different wheels.?

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

Justasix98 said:
I have those on my 98, I was also wondering if I could run 265's on those rims. Right now I'm running 255/40 all around with 3/4 in spacers in the rear, looks pretty decent and handles great.
can you take a pic of your tires from the back, i want to see how my wheels would look with 255 tires.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Horseplay said:
so whats your opinion, should i stick with my wheels and buy 245 and 255 tires. or should u just save up for different wheels.?

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

can you take a pic of your tires from the back, i want to see how my wheels would look with 255 tires.
Here's one without the spacers with the 255's. I don't have pics on me right now, nor my car, but I'll take another pic and post it for ya in a bit

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts