Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 Mach 1 and currently have 18×10 wheels on the back. I am lowered about 1.5 inches and want a wider tire than 285. What size tire will put me wider and not rub?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok cool! Do you know the exact size?

·
Lorraine's driver
8,167 Posts
Ok cool! Do you know the exact size?
I've got 17x10.5's with 315's on mine. Seems like 295/35R/18's would be the largest as far as width goes. Any bigger and it might not fit that good (or look that great) on the wheel. Depending on brand, you might find 305/35R/18's that may work. 10" is the bare minimum width for 305's on the tire calculators that I've seen over the years. You should be good width wise as far as rubbing in the back with 18's, as long as your Mach isn't slammed. If it's pretty low, you might as well roll those rear fenders. You also may need to loosen your passenger side exhaust after the midpipe, if it's aftermarket. Mine was rubbing badly on the tailpipe on the passenger side. I just repositioned the exhaust a bit and made it work. I've got about 1/4" between the tire and tailpipe of my Borla Stingers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I was thinking a little wider like a 295. I appreciate the help!

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Depends on the brand, some 275 BFGs are damn near as wide as a 315 Nitto...

Also wider does not = better all the time. If you are running some crazy wide tire on a too small rim like the dumbasses who run 275s on stock 8" wide rims then your performance will suffer. Go with a tire that is flush or slightly lips over the rim and run with it. A 275/40/18 BFG Comp TA is a REAL good tire for a 18x10 rim. Fits perfect, looks great and is damn near as wide as a 300+ on most brands. You can look at actual specs on tirerack, look at section width to see how actually wide the sidewall is because, as I said, brands vary.

I'd be more worried about your suspension if you haven't done any upgrades to it yet. Don't be the toolshed riding around with offroad exhaust and crazy tires on the OE suspension...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have a little suspension work. Just looking for a little wider tire. Possibly a 295/35r18. I have 18x10's on the back, and wheel sits right on the edge of the tire. Just needs a little more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This question brings up an observation that I've been wanting to mention: Staggered wheels seem really popular under Mustangs.
I wanted more of a pro-touring vibe, and mounted 20x10s all around, with 275/35 tires. 1.5" lowered, no rubbing anywhere, and I can rotate like factory tires. Just FYI and all.

A

1 - 8 of 8 Posts