Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has a set of ARE Bullet rims 17” in
front standard (17x8 maybe?) and 18”x9” in rear. They are a special edition Captain America rim set. We figure to use 245/45R17 on the front. What’s the widest he can place on the rears? He has a 2000 GT and wants as wide a tire as he can out on it.

·
Super Moderator
17,887 Posts
275/35/18 will be a good rear size for that rim but some brands run wider or narrower than others. For instance, BFGs generally run wide so a 275 might actually be TOO big for a 9" wide rim with them. Nittos run narrow, on the other hand, so you might need a 295 Nitto but it'll be the same actual width as the BFG. You can check actual section widths on tirerack usually.

Just remember wider is not always better, you have too wide a tire on a rim and it's going to actually DECREASE performance.

For the fronts, 17x8 is the OEM rim size so OEM 245/45/17s will get you to the 25.7" stock height.

You can also go with a taller tire out back like 275/40/18 for 26.6" if you wanted to fill up the wheel well a little more or decrease highway RPM slightly. You will need to recalibrate the speedometer or it'll be off 5mph or so.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
275 wide is normally what is used on a 9" wide wheel. You can easily go up a tire size or two though. This depends on the tire.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Following what @scottydsnknow and @Revvv posted. A Nitto 275/35ZR18XL NT555 G2, for example, is published to fit from a 9" to 11" wide rims. I imagine the ride would also be rougher.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts