Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello all,
New to the forum and I'm sure this has been asked extensively but again new so please be kind.
Vehicle and mods are:
Black 2012 mustang v6 automatic pony package
3.7 v6, k&n cai ,bbk 73mm throttle body, steeda 87 octane unlocked tune,dyno-tech aluminum one piece driveshaft,3.31 gear swap from 2.73,frrp cut and clamp x pipe, borla s-type cat back
Bmr - upper lower control arms and mounts, adjustable pan hard bar.Steeda jacking rails,hotchkits front & rear sway bars,ebich sport spring 1.00" in back and about .75" in front lowering. Steeda upper strut mount assembles, koni orange shocks front and rear. Boss 302 front strut bar Shelby 500 rear sway bar.
2013 mustang gt front brake brackets - Hawk talon 13.23" rotors and 11" rotors in back, hawk hps 5.0 pads all around
Raxiom rear led taillights, tint on back windows and third brake light.
Expel 8mm film guard on front of car
So after the winter season is over I'm looking at changing my rims out, this is an area I know surprisingly little about so need some advice. The car is a dd with a round trip of about 90 miles at 75-78ish mph on the most pos highways known to mankind, I try to avoid driving in the rain but it does happen and it gets stored before the fun ole northan winter rolls in.I would describe my self as an aggressive driver.
Car currently has the stock pony package 18*8 rims with 235/50/18 bf goodrich comp as2 with ab out 40% life left on them.

I was looking at the amr dark stainless wheels or enekei raijin in both 18*8 rims.
The goal was to just swap the current tires and sensors but treading the forum it seems like everyone says to go bigger.
I know the 18-8 can run a 235/50 or 245/50 and that 18*8.5 or 18*9 is recommended for running a 255/45 but in my case is there a real gian by switching to the bigger tires ? I really don't want my tires sticking out due again to all the (Moderated) rocks on the highway from road destruction.

So in the end i guess whats the forums opinion on the upgrade should I just sttick with 18*8 and run witht he 235 till the expire and bump to 245 or is worth it to go with a bigger rim and tire ?
I was mostly swapping the rims for appearance due to the fact that the performance brakes dust like crazy and chrome gets dirty fast and their a bit old school for most taste, but I protize performance over looks
Also anyone ahve any issue with the amr rims ? My experience with my taillights with them was bad (not am's fault fed ex stole them and I mean steal I have the camera footage of it)I did get them but boy was that fun.

Thank you for your posts

Oh forgot to mention not really intrested in ruunning a staggered setup and I favor road racing or drag racing.

·
Dragon Tail Master
1,357 Posts
255/40R19 F and 295/35R19 R on Boss 302S wheels, 19X9 42mm offset F and 19X10 R 47.5mm offset and nothing sticks out. I was running 275/40 Square on 19X9 on all 4
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Automotive tail & brake light Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car

The reason I went with Wider wheels and tires is I do like to corner.
Speedometer Steering part Car Gauge Automotive design

BTW welcome to MEVO, we can help you spend more of your money, but it does look like you have done a nice job modding your Pony already.

Reactions: ab_mach1

·
Administrator
3,028 Posts
Welcome XXG and thank you for joining MustangEvolution!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
I encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
Do you need help posting? Please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you’ve chosen to join our community.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hello all,
New to the forum and I'm sure this has been asked extensively but again new so please be kind.
Vehicle and mods are:
Black 2012 mustang v6 automatic pony package
3.7 v6, k&n cai ,bbk 73mm throttle body, steeda 87 octane unlocked tune,dyno-tech aluminum one piece driveshaft,3.31 gear swap from 2.73,frrp cut and clamp x pipe, borla s-type cat back
Bmr - upper lower control arms and mounts, adjustable pan hard bar.Steeda jacking rails,hotchkits front & rear sway bars,ebich sport spring 1.00" in back and about .75" in front lowering. Steeda upper strut mount assembles, koni orange shocks front and rear. Boss 302 front strut bar Shelby 500 rear sway bar.
2013 mustang gt front brake brackets - Hawk talon 13.23" rotors and 11" rotors in back, hawk hps 5.0 pads all around
Raxiom rear led taillights, tint on back windows and third brake light.
Expel 8mm film guard on front of car
So after the winter season is over I'm looking at changing my rims out, this is an area I know surprisingly little about so need some advice. The car is a dd with a round trip of about 90 miles at 75-78ish mph on the most pos highways known to mankind, I try to avoid driving in the rain but it does happen and it gets stored before the fun ole northan winter rolls in.I would describe my self as an aggressive driver.
Car currently has the stock pony package 18*8 rims with 235/50/18 bf goodrich comp as2 with ab out 40% life left on them.

I was looking at the amr dark stainless wheels or enekei raijin in both 18*8 rims.
The goal was to just swap the current tires and sensors but treading the forum it seems like everyone says to go bigger.
I know the 18-8 can run a 235/50 or 245/50 and that 18*8.5 or 18*9 is recommended for running a 255/45 but in my case is there a real gian by switching to the bigger tires ? I really don't want my tires sticking out due again to all the (Moderated) rocks on the highway from road destruction.

So in the end i guess whats the forums opinion on the upgrade should I just sttick with 18*8 and run witht he 235 till the expire and bump to 245 or is worth it to go with a bigger rim and tire ?
I was mostly swapping the rims for appearance due to the fact that the performance brakes dust like crazy and chrome gets dirty fast and their a bit old school for most taste, but I protize performance over looks
Also anyone ahve any issue with the amr rims ? My experience with my taillights with them was bad (not am's fault fed ex stole them and I mean steal I have the camera footage of it)I did get them but boy was that fun.

Thank you for your posts

Oh forgot to mention not really intrested in ruunning a staggered setup and I favor road racing or drag racing.
Nice ride! I also have a Red candy 2012 pony package fairly well modded but I left the Ford performance pack suspension that I bought it with. It also came with the K&N Typhoon Cai that you have. I also added the BBK throttle body. You did not mention any shorty headers though. I recommend that mod and a MPT tune it adds midrange power and makes it feel like a beast. I love the 18" pony pack polished wheels but they are stating to show some spidering. I would stick with 18" wheels if I were you. Larger wheels mean narrower rubber or it will slow you down and if you are going on bad roads you don't want 35s. They don't like bumps. For you next set of tires try Some 245/45R18 Firestone Firehawk Indys they stick like glue and are great in the wet.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
255/40R19 F and 295/35R19 R on Boss 302S wheels, 19X9 42mm offset F and 19X10 R 47.5mm offset and nothing sticks out. I was running 275/40 Square on 19X9 on all 4 View attachment 304705 View attachment 304706
The reason I went with Wider wheels and tires is I do like to corner.
View attachment 304707

BTW welcome to MEVO, we can help you spend more of your money, but it does look like you have done a nice job modding your Pony already.
Thanks and yeaah what was supposed to be a few simple mods changed very fast

Nice ride! I also have a Red candy 2012 pony package fairly well modded but I left the Ford performance pack suspension that I bought it with. It also came with the K&N Typhoon Cai that you have. I also added the BBK throttle body. You did not mention any shorty headers though. I recommend that mod and a MPT tune it adds midrange power and makes it feel like a beast. I love the 18" pony pack polished wheels but they are stating to show some spidering. I would stick with 18" wheels if I were you. Larger wheels mean narrower rubber or it will slow you down and if you are going on bad roads you don't want 35s. They don't like bumps. For you next set of tires try Some 245/45R18 Firestone Firehawk Indys they stick like glue and are great in the wet.

View attachment 304716
Looks great, yeah thinking I'm just gonna get 18*8 and switch to 245 once my 235 are done. Now it's just deciding between the amr's in dark stainless or the enkei rajin in gun metal.

I looked at shorties but when I asked steeda about them they only saw about a 2 hp gain from them and wouldn't re tune for them, my mechanics also said to avoid them due to heat cycling since I leave for work at 05:00 and northern mornings are cold even in the summer

I've heard good things about mpt but I wanted to be a bit more conservete on my tune for reliability and steeda has a warranty , tunes for life, and has pretty much worked with ford from day one so thats why I went with them.

·
Dragon Tail Master
1,357 Posts
Looks great, yeah thinking I'm just gonna get 18*8 and switch to 245 once my 235 are done. Now it's just deciding between the amr's in dark stainless or the enkei rajin in gun metal.

I looked at shorties but when I asked steeda about them they only saw about a 2 hp gain from them and wouldn't re tune for them, my mechanics also said to avoid them due to heat cycling since I leave for work at 05:00 and northern mornings are cold even in the summer

I've heard good things about mpt but I wanted to be a bit more conservete on my tune for reliability and steeda has a warranty , tunes for life, and has pretty much worked with ford from day one so thats why I went with them.
2 HP from Shorties, there are places that you are getting 25 HP and 30 FT Pounds of torque from Shorties, the 2 HP is at max RPM and the Shorties help out where the V6 needs it the most in the low to mid range. As for heat cycles, mine have been through rain, sleet and snow for about 5 years and no problems

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for such a late responses adulting is hard sometimes. Well I was a bit skeptical but the dyno sheets some users have post do back up up your claims, peak gains aren't that much but does really shift that torque curve.
I will say you have peeked my curiosity, however everything I see makes them seem like a nightmare to install , I asked my shop about it and they just had looks of dread on their faces.
That being said seems like most people recommend using ford oem studs and gaskets, except for the collector bolts were you need to use the bbk bolts - was that your experience as well ?

·
Administrator
3,028 Posts
That being said seems like most people recommend using ford oem studs and gaskets, except for the collector bolts were you need to use the bbk bolts - was that your experience as well ?
So what are you going to do then?

·
Dragon Tail Master
1,357 Posts
Sorry for such a late responses adulting is hard sometimes. Well I was a bit skeptical but the dyno sheets some users have post do back up up your claims, peak gains aren't that much but does really shift that torque curve.
I will say you have peeked my curiosity, however everything I see makes them seem like a nightmare to install , I asked my shop about it and they just had looks of dread on their faces.
The install is not hard, just time consuming and yes just use the OEM studs and nuts along with OEM gaskets attaching them to the heads and the BBK on the collector. I did use the BBK Gaskets gaskets on mine and all that does is requires retorquing for a longer period of time.

Reactions: crjackson
1 - 9 of 9 Posts