Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and not a long-time Mustang owner, so thank you for your patience and guidance. We have a '96 GT convertible and are getting close to the point of needing new tires. I started doing some tire research and discovered that it is a very complex arena, at least for me. I thought it would be helpful to hear from other Mustang owners. We drive the car less than 10,000 miles per year. We have a mix of in-town driving and driving on state and county highways. We get on an interstate once in a while, but not very often. We live in Georgia, so ice and snow isn't a real issue. When we get that kind of weather we drive our other car. We drive fairly sedately, but once in a while "the horses need to run," so if we find a back road straightaway with no other cars in sight we might push it to 90 or 95. We also like to enjoy taking in into curves with a bit of speed since it handles so darn well. We think we would like a tire that is sort of a cross between a good grip/performance tire and one that will give us decent tread wear. One tire shop recommend the Cooper Zeon RS3-8 and another shop recommended a BFGoodrich g-force Comp 2 A/SA. The Cooper has fairly good online reviews, but a little mixed, and the g-force has even better reviews. Anyone have experience with either of these tires, or recommend a different tire for our use? Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
17,968 Posts
I had those BFGs on my 98GT. They are amazing tires and I was lucky enough to get them on sale at Tirerack at the time. They even came with a $50 prepaid Visa card. You are going to have a tough time finding a better tire for the price. Get them in 245/45/17 or 255/45/17 whichever is the better deal and you'll be good to go. Both those sizes were OEM at one point or another for 94-04 cars.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I'm new to the forum and not a long-time Mustang owner, so thank you for your patience and guidance. We have a '96 GT convertible and are getting close to the point of needing new tires. I started doing some tire research and discovered that it is a very complex arena, at least for me. I thought it would be helpful to hear from other Mustang owners. We drive the car less than 10,000 miles per year. We have a mix of in-town driving and driving on state and county highways. We get on an interstate once in a while, but not very often. We live in Georgia, so ice and snow isn't a real issue. When we get that kind of weather we drive our other car. We drive fairly sedately, but once in a while "the horses need to run," so if we find a back road straightaway with no other cars in sight we might push it to 90 or 95. We also like to enjoy taking in into curves with a bit of speed since it handles so darn well. We think we would like a tire that is sort of a cross between a good grip/performance tire and one that will give us decent tread wear. One tire shop recommend the Cooper Zeon RS3-8 and another shop recommended a BFGoodrich g-force Comp 2 A/SA. The Cooper has fairly good online reviews, but a little mixed, and the g-force has even better reviews. Anyone have experience with either of these tires, or recommend a different tire for our use? Thank you.

I put the BFGs on my '95 T/A last year. Awesome tire, great grip. Have not driven the car in the rain, but they are supposed to be a great wet weather tire also.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible

·
Super Moderator
17,968 Posts
I got caught in the rain a few times with them. They do fine. Just have to watch when it starts to get near 30 degrees F. I usually put the car away when it started to consistently stay below 40 anyway.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I got caught in the rain a few times with them. They do fine. Just have to watch when it starts to get near 30 degrees F. I usually put the car away when it started to consistently stay below 40 anyway.

I pulled mine out one morning when it was in the 40s because it was supposed to hit the 70s later in the day. Definitely felt a difference.

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible

·
Registered
252 Posts
Sumitomo htrz 2's they are z rated ultra high performance with a 420 treadwear. Amazing in wet and dry super sticky when heated(1.67 60ft proves that) best of all they are 300 for a set of 4 shipped and pep boys has deal with tire rack for lifetime balance and rotate

Sent from my LG-D415 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

1 - 7 of 7 Posts