Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
I was told by the guys at the local Goodyear store that these "low rolling resistance" tires designed to increase fuel economy are a hoax... in their words. They said that throughout the life of the tire you may save about ONE tank of gas, which isn't enough savings to justify the additional expense of the tires in the first place.

They said "Buy cheap tires and keep them properly inflated - don't buy into the hype".

Others may have different opinions...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I'm getting really bad gas mileage it didn't start till I put a different size on had 225 55r on now its 225 65s. The ones that where on it where z rated and really expensive

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Honestly, performance cars don't have the tire gas mileage issue. My dad has a jeep wrangler and mud tires make the gas mileage awful (same diameter).

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I really need to fix the gas problem cause I drive 80 miles a day to work I was getting like 400 miles a full tank .... its straight highway to work ... any suggestions

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
98mustang11 said:
Well I really need to fix the gas problem cause I drive 80 miles a day to work I was getting like 400 miles a full tank .... its straight highway to work ... any suggestions
Have you tried seafoam?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
you added taller tires (by a lot) 225/55 tires compared to 225/65 tires make a big difference, from the original tire size i'm guessing you have 16" rims??

so a 225/55-16 tire is 25.7" tall and a 225/65-16 tire is 27.5" tall that's an extra 1.8" height of tire that your V6 has to turn over......

only option is swap back to the proper size tire......... not to mention your speedo is way off

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Get the proper ratio tire... that's about it. Low rolling resistance tires are a scam and they hurt performance. They can also be damaged by high speed and there braking performance is disgusting. How they allow them on the road is puzzling.

You could install a lower gear... but 400 miles a tank isn't bad.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea was getting 400 now its 200 I don't know what the deal is .. I'm gonna clean the throttle body iac and maf

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I get about 250 if I'm lucky :D

OP: not to sound like an ass here but, if the tires are all that changed then your mileage went to crap.... THE TIRES ARE THE PROBLEM no amount of cleaning you can do to anything will change that lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts