Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not a mechanic. In fact I am a Nurse. What tools other than basic hand tools will I need to install this? Is it difficult in the sense that I would need a mechanic? I am thinking about tackling this with my buddy who is also not a mechanic but a Paramedic. I have basic mechanical knowledge to work on most things. Any info is greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have no help for you.....other then the "at least if you hurt your self you will be able to fix it" remark! Lol...

But at least this will get you post up to the top! Good luck

·
Registered
51 Posts
MDoane44 said:
I am not a mechanic. In fact I am a Nurse. What tools other than basic hand tools will I need to install this? Is it difficult in the sense that I would need a mechanic? I am thinking about tackling this with my buddy who is also not a mechanic but a Paramedic. I have basic mechanical knowledge to work on most things. Any info is greatly appreciated...
I wouldn't recommend you and your friend doing this if your not mechanically accustomed to suspension work.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was reading earlier about how to do it and it seems pretty straight forward. I just wanted to see if anyone has tips or if i need any special tools...

·
Registered
598 Posts
Basic hand tools pretty well covers what you need. I'd make sure to have a torque wrench so you torque the bolts correctly. Since you are going with coilovers, a spring compressor isn't really needed as you won't need to disassemble the front strut & spring assembly. Just take your time & pay attention to what you are doing--and read the instructions.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AM just told me on the phone that I need a spring compressor or I could get hurt doing this? Does that sound right? All the instructions I have viewed online dont even mention the Spring Compressor tool...

·
Registered
984 Posts
MDoane44 said:
AM just told me on the phone that I need a spring compressor or I could get hurt doing this? Does that sound right? All the instructions I have viewed online dont even mention the Spring Compressor tool...
Yes so you can install the new springs on the strut an tighten it down with your camber plates

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yep. You can go to the local AutoZone/O'Reilly's/Pep Boys/etc. and borrow one. They just put a hold on your credit card for the price of the tool & take it off when you return it--if you don't return the tool, you bought it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went to AutoZone and they said I should not need a spring compressor. I called AM again and they said DO NOT attempt this job becuase of the danger in springs because I WILL need a compressor. The mechanic wants $300 to do the whole install but I really dont want to part with $300 in labor cost!

·
Registered
598 Posts
There's a good chance you won't need the compressor to assemble the new parts. The lowering springs are shorter, and often can just be placed in position without having to compress them. Taking the stock assemblies apart--if you need to--will require one. Since the tool "rental" is free, I'd just go borrow it and have it on hand in case you do need it. Worst case is you make a couple extra trips to AutoZone. You should have plenty of time to get it back to them (I think it's 30 days before they decide you aren't going ot return it).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just called Sears... they only want $200 plus $80 for alignment
Dude. I became I member so I can thank you. :thumb:LOL. I called Sears and they are asking for the same! I can't beat that. I would have never tried Sears. Did you ever get them installed. I'll be ordering mine soon.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Im actually planning on ordering the pro system plus kit soon as well, how do you guys like the kit? Are you seeing you are too low and scraping on speed bumps or anything?
Thanks in advance!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts