Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The top on my 2005 Mustang quit going down. First, the rear passenger window motor died (slow death over a few years), and would not go down. I knew that would stop the top from working, and I replaced it. Now it works fine, but nothing happens after the windows go down. When I press the top down button, the windows all go down, but then nothing happens. Even the relays in the engine fuse box do not click (bought a new one to make sure they were not bad). I also filled up the hydraulic fluid, but the relays don't click and the pump never tried to come on. Could it be thee windows down sensors? How do I troubleshoot those?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you checked the fuses?
I have checked fuses and relays. I used the power on/off window sequence to reset the windows. I disconnected the battery for about 45 min to reset things. Nothing. Windows go down, I hear a click from the base of each rear window after they go down (and again at 10 second intervals if I keep pressing), but the relays in the fuse box never click and the pump/motor never tries to operate.

I am beginning to wonder if it is the Smart Junction Box. Was going to pull it and look for any bad fuses (no convertible top fuses there) or water damage on the connectors. Any thoughts on that? I only see a few rare references to that as the cause of top not going down, but I think my switch is good and it simply never progresses to the next step of sending power to relays and on to the motor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FIXED IT!! I realized there is no physical switch to signal when the windows are down, but that signal is definitely a prerequisite for the SJB to activate the top down relay. So it must come from the window motor itself. I went back to the 2005 Mustang convertible at my local PIck-n-Pull and harvested the passenger rear window motor and regulator. Cleaned it up and plugged it in...IT WORKED! The top now goes up and down. The very first thing I fixed was putting in a brand new rear window motor. Because it worked the window properly, I thought all was good and moved on to testing other items. BUt I was fooled, the motor rolled the window up and down...but never sent the down signal to the SJB so the entire process stopped there. And the automotive store refunded my $150 for the new motor, while the harvested motor only cost me $30.

Spent the last month testing every wire to and from the fuse box and SJB to all switches and motors. Tried a harvest SJB from the local Pick-n-Pull. Spent hours reading schematics and wiring diagrams. And it ended up being a motor that fooled me into thinking it was working fully.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wait, so it is working now or not? I have the exact same problem with my 2007. Windows go down and nothing. The switch to raise the rear window won’t work and I have to do the reset everytime I try the top. I also assumed it’s whatever senses that the windows are in the down position. What’s the part I need? Regulator? Thanks in advance

1 - 5 of 5 Posts