Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’m lookin to get some more power out of my mustang in the near future. And I have an Automatic 6 speed 2014 V6 Mustang. I know torque converters are a great way to increase power. I know I’ll need a tune for that more than likely, I just need help figuring out what the best/right torque converter would be so I could add some performance gains.

·
Tech-Expert
5 Posts
Hey guys, I’m lookin to get some more power out of my mustang in the near future. And I have an Automatic 6 speed 2014 V6 Mustang. I know torque converters are a great way to increase power. I know I’ll need a tune for that more than likely, I just need help figuring out what the best/right torque converter would be so I could add some performance gains.
... Better late than never? Sorry for taking so long to answer this, but I just got here, MadHorse!

Hopefully you haven't messed with your torque converter. It's not even a crutch; just makes your car feel wheezier and less connected to the drivetrain. I am going to bet you have some understanding of how the thing works, based on your premise that it'd help your car's performance. But in the end, it doesn't really give you any additional power whatsoever. If you have a hairy cam that won't make power, or is bucking due to poor flow at low speeds, a loose converter is essential to get things up to an RPM where it can start to make steam. But on a stock engine, a loose converter will just bring your starting point past where the engine begins to make torque anyway, and you wind up with a narrower window of time to accelerate before you run out of RPM and have to grab the next gear.

Believe it or not, the stock V6 converters are often used as a poor man's "high performance converter" on V8s, because they will stall a little higher than the V8 converters do. If you start making more torque, you'll probably find that the original converter's a pretty good match, so long as you don't get wild with the cam overlap.

Best wishes, and welcome to Mustang Evolution!

·
Administrator
657 Posts
Welcome @MadHorse and thank you for joining MustangEvolution!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
I encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
Do you need help posting? Please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you’ve chosen to join our community.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts