Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you get a new set of wheels and dont want to buy new TPMS sensors could you just use the ones out of your current wheels, or do you have to buy new ones when you get new wheels?

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,248 Posts
I asked my local Goodyear and they said they'd charge me 20-25 dollars to switch them.
That's really cheap! Discount Tire wanted $60 to swap out mine plus rebalancing.

Haven't done it yet due to the fact I can't fit 4 tires in my car.
Try harder! Lol, I've managed to squeeze all 4 rims & tires in my mustang before.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I asked my local Goodyear and they said they'd charge me 20-25 dollars to switch them. Haven't done it yet due to the fact I can't fit 4 tires in my car.
Haha same problem here rims and tires, no room!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I was told that they would be pretty much destroyed while removing them, and they are one time use. But then again, when I bought my wheels/tires I bought a package and all I had to do was put them straight on.

If they are in fact removable how would you transfer them though? You will have to have the set to be transferred to with you at the time regardless.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
ZLwhat said:
I was told that they would be pretty much destroyed while removing them, and they are one time use. But then again, when I bought my wheels/tires I bought a package and all I had to do was put them straight on.

If they are in fact removable how would you transfer them though? You will have to have the set to be transferred to with you at the time regardless.
They sell a tool, most shops have it.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Yup. I choose to go ahead and get new ones installed on my rims/tires from AM, since I plan on keeping my stock rims/tires for the winter. If your doing the same thing, might as well pay $200 up front, instead on $100 each time you change them out.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Haha you're always Mis-understanding my posts and correcting me. I know they sell calibration tools. But in order to remove the sensors you have to dismount the tire from the wheel. I've heard at that point, the sensors are worthless and new ones need to be put in. That was all I was saying, and my next point was that he has two sets of wheels and one set of sensors so how would manage switching them?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Haha you're always Mis-understanding my posts and correcting me. I know they sell calibration tools. But in order to remove the sensors you have to dismount the tire from the wheel. I've heard at that point, the sensors are worthless and new ones need to be put in. That was all I was sayinig, and my next point was that he has two sets of wheels and one set of sensors so how would manage switching them?
From what ive read there is basically a rebuild kit which allows you to reuse the original sensors. A waste of money IMO if you are going to keep the stock rims. I think he was referring to the remote that you need to sync the sensors which all tire shops should have considering all 07+ cars come with a tpms. Yes you are 100% correct, the tires need to be removed from the original rims to get the sensors off, but you can have them put on and synced to the new rims. But once again, a shop will charge atleast $125 to do so, might as well spend the extra $75 and have a set on both rims, and your own sync tool from AM and never have to worry about it again.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
From what ive read there is basically a rebuild kit which allows you to reuse the original sensors. A waste of money IMO if you are going to keep the stock rims. I think he was referring to the remote that you need to sync the sensors which all tire shops should have considering all 07+ cars come with a tpms. Yes you are 100% correct, the tires need to be removed from the original rims to get the sensors off, but you can have them put on and synced to the new rims. But once again, a shop will charge atleast $125 to do so, might as well spend the extra $75 and have a set on both rims, and your own sync tool from AM and never have to worry about it again.
Yes, you are understanding what I am saying. I just thought that the OP was wanting to use stock sensors in his new wheels and tires. I wasn't even referring to the sync tool which is worth purchasing just based on the premise you don't have to rely on a tire shop. I was more less stating the fact that I heard a tpms sensor is a "one use only" sensor and that he might have to buy new sensors for the new wheels anyways... That is all.

The sync tool is a whole different story

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,248 Posts
The sensors are reusable. I trashed two of my stock rims at the last drift event. I picked up two used rims from a junkyard that had no tires or tpms sensors. I went to a tire shop, bought two tires and had them swap my sensors over and they still worked. I didn't even need to recalibrate them.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The sensors are reusable. I trashed two of my stock rims at the last drift event. I picked up two used rims from a junkyard that had no tires or tpms sensors. I went to a tire shop, bought two tires and had them swap my sensors over and they still worked. I didn't even need to recalibrate them.
+1. The man speaks the truth. "Reusable"

·
Registered
616 Posts
Never switched mine over and the light on the dash rarely comes on. When it does,I could care less.
Yeah. My old tires are in the garage with my car. So unless I drive around several hours a day. It never comes on. I leave for work. Park at work for 8 1/2 hours then come back home and it still hasn't come on. But if I'm doing a lot if weekend driving. It comes on.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I don't run any sensors and my light comes on immediately. But I also could care less.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts