Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I forgot to ask this awhile ago but I'm asking now while I remember.

TPS, I read somewhere about you being able to tune it for performance. True or no? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
You can't tune your TPS. All the TPS does is tell the EEC how far the throttle is open. With that info the EEC can determine if the throttle is closed, partly open, or wide open, or WOT(wide open throttle). You need to tune the EEC to get the most power from your car along with a few others like spark timing.

·
Premium Member
4,890 Posts
97Stallion said:
You can't tune your TPS. All the TPS does is tell the EEC how far the throttle is open. With that info the EEC can determine if the throttle is closed, partly open, or wide open, or WOT(wide open throttle). You need to tune the EEC to get the most power from your car along with a few others like spark timing.
Exactly :good: :good:

Another myth dispelled by a tech mod on Mustang Evolution ;)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Where I think this "myth" come from is the following.

On some GM efi systems you have to adjust the TPS voltage at idle. To do this you physically move the TPS unit to set the voltage it outputs at idle. Some GM guys fool with this setting in an attempt to do something useful. Back before there were any software tuning systems this was all the stuff we had to fool with.

This is the problem when some people know a little bit about something, but not the details and whys and wherefores, then attempt to extrapolate this as being so for all systems. GM is the only one I know of that does this, which is not to say it is the only one that does it. I do know older Chrysler efi systems simply look at the voltage when you first start the car and marks that as idle, don't know about anything newer though.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Yup, we've the NEW myth busters!!!

·
Premium Member
19,783 Posts
97Stallion said:
Yup, we've the NEW myth busters!!!
I wanna do the one where they try to prove the breathalyzer wrong...

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
^drink beer, drive. gargle with listerine as you're being pulled over

·
Premium Member
19,783 Posts
dark said:
^drink beer, drive. gargle with listerine as you're being pulled over
And then your blood alchohol level is around 150%...

·
Premium Member
25,803 Posts
we need to bust the myth about the instant 20hp chip! off ebay then force them to remove em from ebay OWNED

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a friend that's completely clueless, for god sakes he drives a hyundai elantra. He bought one of those off ebay for like 5 bucks, it fried his computer and he had to have a new one from the dealer put in lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts