Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if a 3650 out of a 2006 gt will fit into an 02 gt. i need answers asap if anyone has any thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dylanmullins said:
It won't work. Pretty much the whole design of the trans is different
Not even if i change the bell housing and the tail housing it still wouldnt work? I still have all that from my stock trans.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The shifter is a whole different design. So you would figure. Let me do a little more looking into it but I'm pretty sure it's different

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dylanmullins said:
The shifter is a whole different design. So you would figure. Let me do a little more looking into it but I'm pretty sure it's different
I think your right on the shifter. Let me know what you come up with and il keep looking myself

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The '05+ 3650 will I believe bolt up to the engine, however you would also need to install the hydraulic clutch pedal/master cylinder and plumbing--and will need and have to fit the '05+ shift mechanism. The driveshaft may have to altered too, IDK...

Here is the 2001 to 2004 T3650:

and the 2005 to 2009 T3650:

The clutch (bell) housing could perhaps be exchanged (I do not know for sure, the mainshaft on the "new" may be longer). The tail "extension" cannot be swapped as the internal shift mechanism was greatly altered to accommodate the remote shifter used in the '05+ models. The shift rail positions were mirrored (reversed) and the shift forks were redesigned, among other internal changes.

None of the internal or external shift linkages can be swapped between the pre- and post-2005 T3650s...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I also meant to mention that on the 3650 swapping the clutch housing is not just simple "pull and swap" operation. The clutch housing on the 3650 (and the tail as well) is an integral component of the transmission, not just an "adapter" as with the T-5, T-56 and TKO transmissions. I.e. the main and countershaft bearings are mounted in the clutch housing's rear "wall".

What appears to be the transmission proper, the chunk between the clutch housing and tail extension, is just a hollow cast aluminum "tube":

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cliffyk said:
I also meant to mention that on the 3650 swapping the clutch housing is not just simple "pull and swap" operation. The clutch housing on the 3650 (and the tail as well) is an integral component of the transmission, not just an "adapter" as with the T-5, T-56 and TKO transmissions. I.e. the main and countershaft bearings are mounted in the clutch housing's rear "wall".

What appears to be the transmission proper, the chunk between the clutch housing and tail extension, is just a hollow cast aluminum "tube":
Wow!!! That is some good info. I guess my question now is i have a good deal on 1 for $400 with 40,000 miles. Would it be worth making the swap?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Wow!!! That is some good info. I guess my question now is i have a good deal on 1 for $400 with 40,000 miles. Would it be worth making the swap?
Keep in mind you will also need the hydraulic clutch pedal and master cylinder (which may or may not fit under the hood), and the remoter shifter assembly that will require making a new hole in the drive tunnel, and which also may or may not fit--both of which will also have to be sourced and purchased.

So, whether it will be "worth it" can only determined by you. In terms of performance or operation there will be no benefit; other than the shift linkage they are functionally identical...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cliffyk said:
Keep in mind you will also need the hydraulic clutch pedal and master cylinder (which may or may not fit under the hood), and the remoter shifter assembly that will require making a new hole in the drive tunnel, and which also may or may not fit--both of which will also have to be sourced and purchased.

So, whether it will be "worth it" can only determined by you. In terms of performance or operation there will be no benefit; other than the shift linkage they are functionally identical...
I think you pretty much helped me make my choice and i think its best to leave it alone! Im not looking for any performance just a good trans at a decent price to get my baby back on the road! Thanks for the time and detailed explanation

1 - 14 of 14 Posts