Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, Just Got My 2013 Trackpak Gt :cheers:

And of Course , Iam writing because its TICKING:banghead:
with just 2000 miles ? And was broken in correctly and responsibly, havent even seen over 100mph in it
and NOT one drag race, Just an occasional blast in 2nd and 3rd after 200 miles to properly break in the rings and seat the crank bearings, Mainly just highway miles

Iam hearing its the Cam phasers ? or Chain Tensioner
So what has Ford done to eliviate this to prevent Gt owners from
coming back every 2000 miles and requesting another set.

But a real good question prior to this is
Why do ONLY the Trackpak cars have the same 5w50 oil as the Boss ?

Are there goodies down below in the Block that Ford wont devulge to prevent a negative sales effect on their more costly Boss Cousins ?

Great Question Right ?
Rumor down here is the Trackpak cars get the same flash Tune as
the Ford Racing Power Packs and that Ford does a CYA with the Thicker Oil.

But It still ticks ? Any Suggestions changing to Ams oil has been already discounted by Ford Themselves

Throw me a Bone :popcorn:

thanks ~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
from what i've researched ford recommends the 5w50 for those models due to what they believe the engines will be put through...even though it's the same engine as the standard 5.0's which call for 5w20...basically 5w20 for mileage or 5w50 for longevity is the jist....so i see

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for your input
But heres the confusing part ?

A lot of Non Track GT's have been ordered with a stick and 3:73 gears
And youd think that would qualify them for the 5w50 oil too ?

After all, its the gear ratio that beats up the engine fastest
Not the Mileage.

And Ford does advertise on their 2014 Track Gt's that a more aggresive tune is performed over a stock GT

This is a rarely disscussed topic on other forums, but a very interesting one at that.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
again from what i've read not personal experience ford says 5w50 not because of a tune difference but from how the car is planned on being used...they assume a track pack or boss will see more track time then a general 5.0 GT

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm ? Well Ford definitely has some issues Here
Here I have the Thicker, Safer Oil, and the car hasnt even seen any rpms past 3rd gear and its ticking, at the left side front valve cover

Whats gonna happen when it does see some fun ?

Glad i got the extended 75000 mile warranty
I think iam gonna need it (sadly)

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
again from what i've read not personal experience ford says 5w50 not because of a tune difference but from how the car is planned on being used...they assume a track pack or boss will see more track time then a general 5.0 GT
Exactly. If you are buying a "track pack" you are going to track it. That is how it is sold.

The 5w50 is well known for causing ticking. If you want it to go away switch to 5w20. The engine is the same, the expected outcome is different.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thats Interesting
Theres a lot of other stangs complaining about "The Tick" using 5w20
after their first oil change

Personally I feel more confident running the 5w50 down here in Miami
where temps can reach mid 90's in the summer and that thicker oil
does protect your bearings and rings much better then a thinner oil

Plus if its good enough for the Boss
its good enough for me

The real question is ?
I can live with the ticking
But can the engine ?

Is there any damage wearing into critical componets ?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Personal Experience, Im not a track pack, but on my 13 i did have ticking when i did 5w50 by the dealer, they got confused, i had ticking the same night, changed to 5w20, went away after 5 min of driving

·
Registered
517 Posts
Track pack is built for hot lapping. 5w 50 compliments the larger radiator and engine oil cooler. You also get a Torsen rear diff. Granted, no oil circulates to/from the diff, but this underscores the purpose of your daily driver.

I don't think there is a conspiracy. Th boss has forged heads and a different exhaust to compliment the 'special' tune.

I have a track pack and got the ProCal. That tune amped up the car, so if I already had a special tune in there, it definitely sucked.

---------- Post added at 07:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 AM ----------

Oh, ticking... Not good and not normal. I can't diagnose it for you, but if it happens again I would suggest throwing a **** fit at the dealer

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Start racing that puppy and driving it hard lol, i also have a track pack and i am one of the people that track their cars the most on here and i still dont do with 5w50, i personally run 5w30 and never had any problems with it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow thats amazing. Ford Probally Knows This, but has a real hard time doing a TSB by just changing the OIL ? Iam Sure They Scan all The Forums and have had to pick up on this themselves ? It does defy logic however when you think that the Cam tensioner relies on oil pressure to properly do its thing and that the Thicker oil would insure More Pressure. This is so Baffaling !

·
Registered
128 Posts
Howdy, Just Got My 2013 Trackpak Gt :cheers:

And of Course , Iam writing because its TICKING:banghead:
with just 2000 miles ? And was broken in correctly and responsibly, havent even seen over 100mph in it
and NOT one drag race, Just an occasional blast in 2nd and 3rd after 200 miles to properly break in the rings and seat the crank bearings, Mainly just highway miles

Iam hearing its the Cam phasers ? or Chain Tensioner
So what has Ford done to eliviate this to prevent Gt owners from
coming back every 2000 miles and requesting another set.

But a real good question prior to this is
Why do ONLY the Trackpak cars have the same 5w50 oil as the Boss ?

Are there goodies down below in the Block that Ford wont devulge to prevent a negative sales effect on their more costly Boss Cousins ?

Great Question Right ?
Rumor down here is the Trackpak cars get the same flash Tune as
the Ford Racing Power Packs and that Ford does a CYA with the Thicker Oil.

But It still ticks ? Any Suggestions changing to Ams oil has been already discounted by Ford Themselves

Throw me a Bone :popcorn:

thanks ~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~
Press that puppy to the floor a few good times. I broke mine in correctly also, and I don't have many miles on it. I drive 30 on average, and on the weekends I hual @$$. I have the same setup from the factory and no ticking or any funnny stuff for mine. Maybe you should kick some dust at the dealership and get some real answers to go with your questions. You can always call or write ford and they will respond to you with advice.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
If you live in a hot climate like Florida I would suggest 10w-30. I use Amsoil 10w-30 but my car is a Spring/Summer car only. Just like others said 5w-50 is recommended in the track pack for what Ford deems the intended usage. But you can use anything between 5w-20 and 5w-50. Whatever you feel is right for your car/usage.

Reactions: Jedimindtricks

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks for everyones help here
But I think iam about to start my own reality TV Show with whats going on with This Mustang and Ford

The Car was taken in 3 days ago to do a check on the cam phasers and tensioners, and checked out Fine. Now Ford is telling them to make sure the Bolts for the AC compressor are tight, knowing it ticks when the AC is OFF and only when the Car is Running Hot, What the Hell does that have to do with an Ac compressor ?:banghead: And To Make matters worse if that checks out , Ford has suggested that the Techs working on the car, Start snooping around the CRANKShaft area for NOISE :eek:

Theres NO WAY this could be a Crank Bearing
Ive never heard of ANY Stock GT having issues down there
even with aftermarket tunes and exhaust

Most Stangs cook at #8 cylinder due to overheating from an overdone tune ,smoke ,cough and do all kinds of preliminary stuff
But NEVER The Crank , Even Supercharged

Am I the First GT owner getting THE SHAFT from a faulty Bottom end ?

WTF ?:brent:

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Here is a link to a good discussion we have going regarding oil. Troy (UnleashedBeast) is a very respectable guy and an engineer himself and is very knowledgeable about this topic. All this is backed up with some graphs and some really good info.
Official GT 5.0/Boss 302 UOA thread - SVTPerformance

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Here is a link to a good discussion we have going regarding oil. Troy (UnleashedBeast) is a very respectable guy and an engineer himself and is very knowledgeable about this topic. All this is backed up with some graphs and some really good info.
Official GT 5.0/Boss 302 UOA thread - SVTPerformance

Hey Thanks, Great Thread :cool:

Printing it and showing it to the service manager Monday, before they get their greasy paws on tearing my shortblock apart :disgust:

Looks like Ford makes Great engines, But Crappy Oil

Of course Ford would never admit that, knowing they would loose a Boat load of Cash if their "Use only genuine Ford oil" new car cutomers knew That $$ :uhh:

·
Registered
130 Posts
If I had to guess knowing a little about oils and utilizing them day to day. I would venture to say that the 5W50 was upgraded in the track pack due to the air cooled oil cooler. Because they are air cooled the oil gets very little cooling effect during city driving or sitting in traffic, the thicker oil will resist more of the heat and not readily lose its viscosity at higher temps AKA probably has a higher viscosity index. The regular GT has water cooled oil cooler from what I understand, this is beneficial because it can keep the oil well within its temperature range even during city driving or gridlocked traffic. I can post more info if you'd like as I have an Eaton Oils book here, just too lazy to type it out right now.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
If I had to guess knowing a little about oils and utilizing them day to day. I would venture to say that the 5W50 was upgraded in the track pack due to the air cooled oil cooler. Because they are air cooled the oil gets very little cooling effect during city driving or sitting in traffic, the thicker oil will resist more of the heat and not readily lose its viscosity at higher temps AKA probably has a higher viscosity index. The regular GT has water cooled oil cooler from what I understand, this is beneficial because it can keep the oil well within its temperature range even during city driving or gridlocked traffic. I can post more info if you'd like as I have an Eaton Oils book here, just too lazy to type it out right now.
What grabber blue posted had some interesting info on the 5W50 at how bad it is. Lotta people recommending 10w30-40 instead.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Looks like Ford makes Great engines, But Crappy Oil

Of course Ford would never admit that :uhh:
Ford Motorcraft oil is average at best. But the bottle sure is pretty.:D
What grabber blue posted had some interesting info on the 5W50 at how bad it is. Lotta people recommending 10w30-40 instead.
I wouldn't use 5w-50 personally. The point I'm trying to make is there are a variety of weight oils we can use. It depends on climate and usage along with some other factors. What is right for one may not be for another. But to have guys say these motors were built for 5w-20 because of the tolerances are just not true. Tolerances have not changed at all much over the years.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts