Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of 2011+ 5.0 owners turn off the traction control button? If so do feel that it's faster? I feel mine is faster but I don't know if its just in my mind. I know when I had my 03 Mach 1 u felt the difference with the button off. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Do any of 2011+ 5.0 owners turn off the traction control button? If so do feel that it's faster? I feel mine is faster but I don't know if its just in my mind. I know when I had my 03 Mach 1 u felt the difference with the button off. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
yeah car feels completely different with it off. I always turn it off when the weather is nice. My 2007 Tundra is the same way, feels sluggish when the traction is on, moment it is taken off feels like a whole different truck.

Personally it was one of the things that kept me from buying a certain "ricer" car that I really liked was the permanent traction control.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Throttle response and all restrictive/ preventative controls are removed.

You will feel the full capability of the engine. But be warned... People tend to fishtail around turns rather easily without the advancedtrac/TC engaged.

It will seem even more pronounced if you order/have a tune installed (like a 93 race tune).

·
Registered
3,547 Posts

You will feel the full capability of the engine. But be warned... People tend to fishtail around turns rather easily without the advancedtrac/TC engaged.

It will seem even more pronounced if you order/have a tune installed (like a 93 race tune).
agreed here, without the right tires and suspension it can be a dangerous game you can be playing. Back when I had stock suspension and stock 18 wheels I spun out twice. Thankfully on open roads with no cars. Really brings a sense of respect for the car haha.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts

That's because people don't know how to drive a car without electronic nannies. I think we should teach everyone to drive in a rear wheel drive V8 with no ABS, traction control or stability control. Then people would actually know how to drive, instead of just mashing the giggle pedal and hoping the computer knows better than they do.

Bottom line - if you aren't familiar with driving a rwd car without traction control, learn the limits of your car in a controlled environment before turning it off on a public roadway.

·
Tech Expert
2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort
3,058 Posts
I've matched my PB straight line at the track TC on and off. But yeah, the car does feel totally more alive with it off. It's not a particularly restrictive system compared to some I've experienced.

·
Registered
98 Posts
That's because people don't know how to drive a car without electronic nannies. I think we should teach everyone to drive in a rear wheel drive V8 with no ABS, traction control or stability control. Then people would actually know how to drive, instead of just mashing the giggle pedal and hoping the computer knows better than they do.

Bottom line - if you aren't familiar with driving a rwd car without traction control, learn the limits of your car in a controlled environment before turning it off on a public roadway.
Agree 100%

·
Registered
260 Posts
How does sport mode respond compared to normal mode?
You're talking about the steering feel. Just go ahead and try different modes. Sport mode is tight. Little to no play in the wheel. For long highway drives, it can require a bit more muscle. Normal is just a combination of sport and comfort. Comfort is more of a luxury car feel. Less force require to turn the wheel, a bit easier on the hands for long drives.

As far as traction control goes, I always turn it off along with stability control, unless its a wet road and I don't feel like messing with it. That being said, I also drove a dirt modified race car for 5 years at a local track, so I know a thing or two about driving. If Ford didn't put TCS on these GT's, we'd be seeing more Mustangs wrapped around telephone poles and in ditches...and probably more body bags. IMO, anyone under 25 shouldn't be driving a 420hp car on the public roads. Sorry to those I offend by that, but when I was between 18 and 25, I did a lot of dumb stuff. Thankfully I never got myself or anyone killed. I raced a guy once and spun out on a 4 lane highway. The only place I race and drive fast is on a track...otherwise you'll see me in my GT driving like an adult. :)

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

Here's a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

http://youtu.be/ajKNJiExjXM

·
Tech Expert
3,058 Posts
As far as TC/SC, sport mode in BBP cars like mine is different than regular GTs so it's hard to directly compare. All the settings are less invasive than on regular cars.

I feel the diff in SM more in the stability control area. I can steer with the rear alot longer before the nanny kicks in.

It's a reasonably good compromise on the road, especially since I've been driving high-powered rear wheel drive cars in all kinds of conditions for over 30 years.

I'm no technophobe, I like ABS, SC/TC and all forms of modern automotive technology. I remember very well how bad cars used to be.

With TC on and off, I could also match times 0-60 on the road. It was just a bit more consistent with TC, as the car would, if overdone even slightly on the loud pedal would wheel hop its way into the 5s. Stock, it'd hit low 4s, if I did it right or with TC on, more often. Since new, I put a Roush upper on and now the TC off results are A LOT more repeatable.

·
Registered
720 Posts
You're talking about the steering feel. Just go ahead and try different modes. Sport mode is tight. Little to no play in the wheel. For long highway drives, it can require a bit more muscle. Normal is just a combination of sport and comfort. Comfort is more of a luxury car feel. Less force require to turn the wheel, a bit easier on the hands for long drives.

As far as traction control goes, I always turn it off along with stability control, unless its a wet road and I don't feel like messing with it. That being said, I also drove a dirt modified race car for 5 years at a local track, so I know a thing or two about driving. If Ford didn't put TCS on these GT's, we'd be seeing more Mustangs wrapped around telephone poles and in ditches...and probably more body bags. IMO, anyone under 25 shouldn't be driving a 420hp car on the public roads. Sorry to those I offend by that, but when I was between 18 and 25, I did a lot of dumb stuff. Thankfully I never got myself or anyone killed. I raced a guy once and spun out on a 4 lane highway. The only place I race and drive fast is on a track...otherwise you'll see me in my GT driving like an adult. :)

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

No there is a sport mode for the advancetrac as well! That's what I'm referring to. I'm 23, and not offended by your opinion haha, but if it makes you feel better I'm a puss with this car and thus probably a lot safer than most younger owners. I don't take corners fast and refuse to street race. But I agree that a majority are dumb as hell. Dying scares me so I drive carefully.

·
Tech Expert
3,058 Posts
You can't do too much damage to the face of that New Edge GT that Ford didn't already do for you....:lol:

·
Registered
460 Posts

I'm 16 and drive a 2013 track pack. Just putting that out there :) your age doesn't have any effect on the way you drive. I honestly drive more responsible then my dad in my mustang. But I do understand there's alot of cocky young drivers out there.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts