Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well for a while now i have been talkin to Paul and he has been tellin me he has a hugh traction problem. now he has a set of 4.10s,3000 PI torque converter, all the bolt ons and a set of lowering springs. He says when he jumps on the gas his wheels just spin until he hits about 15 mph, Paul thinks it his lowering springs that are causing the wheel spin. Now how can this be fixed? I mainly ask this because I think im going to go the same route as Paul. thanks for the help

·
Registered
52 Posts
well i really don't think it's his springs. could be alot of things. Such as tires (which is a reason alot of people can't get traction) could be to much power for his tires, most of the problems with traction are tires.

what kind of car does he have and what kind of tires?

·
Registered
52 Posts
its probably the fact that he's got 4.10's and no weight in the back. Maybe some control arms would help, dunno. Does he have shocks to go with those springs?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
i had all that, but i also had lower control arms. tell him to get some of those and he will hook better. but the springs dont really effect it. i would say it is tires or a lack of t-lok. (you never mentioned if i had one)

anyway, short answer: lower control arms and new tires

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just to clear up this post a tad... :D Im the one that this post is about, i have tloc and pretty good tires. I think the springs arent helping but i realize that im getting no traction b/c of the gears/converter. If i floor it from a stop i just light em up. I said that the springs werent helping b/c i notced i got worse traction after then even before the converter. Brandons right tho, lcas would help me out. :headbang:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Lowering Springs definetly aren't helping the problem but they are not the sole cause.

Two of my friends have eibach lowering springs o ntheir msutangs with 300+ hp and still hook on the street. Its all in how you set up your suspension, tire pressure.

A nice set of upper and lower control arms will help out alot and a rear sway bar to add a little weight.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
When you add gears and Tloc with a PI converter it is hard to keep the wheels from spinning. I really dont think the C springs are really causing problems because they are a stiffer rating than the stock springs. really is is all about weight in the back. lower control arms might help some as well as a rear sway bar. But do a test. take 50 to 100lbs and put it in the trunk and see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
126 Posts
try traction bars, my friend had a 1989 IROC camaro and all his car did was spin, a set of traction bars helped a lot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't have an automatic, but my T/A 255/50/16 drag radials have helped a lot with my traction over the stock Goodyear Eagle 225/55/16 street tires. It helped drop my quarter by 0.4~0.5 with the improved traction.

·
Registered
567 Posts
well he doesnt have drag springs so any kind of stiff spring won't be good for launching.

He needs some suspension mods to keep himself planted..but he doesnt race the car that much so I don't see him doing that just yet.

A panhard bar, LCA's, and slicks/DR's will let you stick on the launch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
old thread, bout traction

most people think that 50 psi in the tires is ok, but its not..thats just the max..you should let some air out...rear wheels, with low profile tires, shouldn't have much air in them i use to run 18 psi...sometimes 24..depending on the time of year,[hot or cold]...also depends on how you drive...32 psi is standard..,..

·
Registered
941 Posts
stangin99 said:
well he doesnt have drag springs so any kind of stiff spring won't be good for launching.
you need a firm spring in the rear for launching, just enough to squat a tad but other than that be solid, which would require it being stiff. they would be much better used with matching 50/50 shocks and control arms of course.

i wish i had my rear c springs back in because my 6 banger springs are too soft. :-/

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Odd front springs seem to be easy to find, its the rear ones that are hard to get for some reason, not sure why, I think its cause a lot of people put coil overs in the front and leave regular springs in the rear??

·
Registered
941 Posts
slvr2000stang said:
Well I guess this is one time the extra weight for the vert actually helps.
it's poorman's traction, but yeah it could help on the short track. less weight is always better in the long run, but if you don't want to sink $ into suspension, weight does work! :banana:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I have actually hear of people that welded scrap iron to the top of there rear axle housings, so don't laugh at the cinder block idea, lol! BTW, I notice I get really good traction with my IRS rear axle, that sucker is really heavy looking, I heard like 70# heavier, I would bet more than that!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts