Mustang Evolution Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
I agree they're junk when they're actually tracked. Driving around spirited, you may be fine, but going out and hitting the strip, there are a ton of people having them **** the bed. I hate that ford even had them manufactured in China but that doesn't matter. I would do a straight trade for an auto. I will agree manuals are more fun always.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have nothing against an automatic it still a good looking pony but man when you just cruising along with traffic in 3rd or 4th gear hand on shifter you know it just matter of time that pony gonna want to go and when you go the steering wheel holder in that auto gets an earful he gonna just let you go

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
Think carefully...you're contemplating trading for a car with a year more depreciation on it. Not smart.

You, on the other hand, have the the less desirable (from a resale standpoint) auto trans. The autos are solid and have very few failure modes, like most automatic transmissions. Manual trans always have more failure modes, as you factor in the imperfect operation by the driver.

There may be rules where you are that prevent this from being a straight across, no tax, trade. Research before you try this.

If the '13 car has lived this long without problems there is likely nothing wrong with the MT.
You might want to check your facts/figures on the automatic being "less desirable (from a resale standpoint) over a manual transmission; its incorrect. While there are less manual transmission equipped Mustangs built, it does not give them a higher resale. There are simply more automatic transmission drivers out there that this type of car will sell to.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Lol. I will run any n/a manual coyote on street tires (in Mexico) best 3 out of 4 from a dig. If losing is so much "more fun" then help yourself. ;). What I run at the track is pretty much what I run in Mexico.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
His has about 20k or less mine just hit 16k. Mine is stock exept for exhaust. He has a few mods, i really dont care about the year difference, insurance i doubt its going to be a big difference. I had a 02 gt with manual and i really liked it, also in my opinion exhaust sounds better with manual when shifting but thats just me. Im still thinking about it.
He is getting 3 things better:

1. Lower miles: 16k vs 20k + worth $300 ?
2. newer Model Year: 2014 vs 2013 + worth $1k+
3. an $1,195.00 option (automatic transmission) + worth $1k

Technically, I'd say your car is worth at least $2k more. Though to confirm you could look up KBB prices and compare. But since he's your brother-in-law and presumably friend, maybe ask for $500 + trade with him paying all the TTL.

Now #3 was based on assuming the cars were otherwise equal (similarly equipped and your sticker was about $1,200 more b/c of Auto), but he might actually have more options bringing value up.

Look up both VINs, just to compare stock equipment / sticker prices.

·
Premium Member
4,069 Posts
^ that might all be true but if he were to go to a dealer to do the same deal he would pay money. So it's just got to be because he would rather have the other car.

IG @Oxford5pointoh

·
Registered
55 Posts
Lol. I will run any n/a manual coyote on street tires (in Mexico) best 3 out of 4 from a dig. If losing is so much "more fun" then help yourself. ;). What I run at the track is pretty much what I run in Mexico.

Mullet racing isn't the only racing however. Different strokes different folks

·
Registered
630 Posts
Exactly. Agreed.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
477 Posts
I wouldn't trade but I prefer the automatic plus I have a bad left knee that doesn't stand up to a lot of clutch action. My fiancee has a 07 GT with the five speed manual and while I like driving it ok, I don't love it.

I also don't get the statement that a lot of people with manual equipped cars say about feeling more connected to their car. I have never felt that way when driving any manual equipped vehicle. To me it feels more like a hassle than fun. Each to his own though.

Wayne

·
Registered
55 Posts
I
I also don't get the statement that a lot of people with manual equipped cars say about feeling more connected to their car. I have never felt that way when driving any manual equipped vehicle. To me it feels more like a hassle than fun. Each to his own though.

Wayne

For me, it comes down to the downshift. Ability to be in the proper gear going into a corner so I can exit said corner is everything. However if I was into drag racing, is go auto. But I couldn't imagine doing road course with an auto trans

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
trade for 2 weeks then decide...

Trade for two weeks. Go to the drag strip and see if and how much you're slower.

Then goto the autox track and see how much more fun.

Then find a twisty mountain road and see if the manual is what you prefer.

Then just relax and just cruise with the windows down and "be one" with the car and see if a manual is your cup of tea.

Personally I can live with not being as fast on the strip. Don't need to be the fastest at the autox. But that twisty road and being one with the car is what I can't live without. That's why I bought a manual. And it's been pretty reliable since. Three years and 51k later.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
For me, it comes down to the downshift. Ability to be in the proper gear going into a corner so I can exit said corner is everything. However if I was into drag racing, is go auto. But I couldn't imagine doing road course with an auto trans
rephrase that to "with a Ford auto trans".

I've driven some nice cars on a race track with the Extreme Driving Experiences, and their autos were so smart and intuitive you would never miss your manual. (Audi R8, Nissan GTR, Lambo Gallardo) They know what gear you need to be in, even better & faster than you do.

So after driving a few Porsches and the above exotics, I thought I wouldn't miss my manual, but sadly this Ford automatic transmission isn't really smart enough. Its not remotely in the same class as those other auto transmissions, which I believe all of them were double clutches too, which really makes the shifts fast & smooth.

I got the auto this time around so my wife could drive the car too. But I won't buy another "dumb" automatic like this one. My next car will be either manual or a "smart" preferably double clutch automatic.

P.S. 5inco, do you drive your car in "S" Sport mode and just leave it in full Auto (don't start hitting up & down buttons)? I've found it a lot more enjoyable than the regular "D" mode.

·
Registered
55 Posts
rephrase that to "with a Ford auto trans".

I've driven some nice cars on a race track with the Extreme Driving Experiences, and their autos were so smart and intuitive you would never miss your manual. (Audi R8, Nissan GTR, Lambo Gallardo) They know what gear you need to be in, even better & faster than you do.

So after driving a few Porsches and the above exotics, I thought I wouldn't miss my manual, but sadly this Ford automatic transmission isn't really smart enough. Its not remotely in the same class as those other auto transmissions, which I believe all of them were double clutches too, which really makes the shifts fast & smooth.

I got the auto this time around so my wife could drive the car too. But I won't buy another "dumb" automatic like this one. My next car will be either manual or a "smart" preferably double clutch automatic.

P.S. Do you drive your car in "S" Sport mode and just leave it in full Auto (don't start hitting up & down buttons)? I've found it a lot more enjoyable than the regular "D" mode.

Standard trans right here

And you are very right. With what you said. I have heard nice things about the 2015 auto trans...

Those smart auto trans cost money big money. Doubt the 2015 auto is that smart lol

41 - 58 of 58 Posts