Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 V6 5-Speed....and I was told that my synchronizers are rattling, and they are making noise....they said its nothing to worry about. Is that true, or is there anyway I can get them to stop making like a metal clinging noise. Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it does it all the time, and it doesn't when I have the cluth pressed in...but idle, speeding up...coasting with cluth not pressed down, and when slowing down. But once I put pressure on the cluth it stops

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no its not a whine...its like a loose piece of metal, and like vibrations are making it rattle on another piece of metal. Like at first I though it was the heat sheild on my cats rattling...but its not that

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have not the slightest clue on how to do that. About how much is that going to run me? or would it be cheaper to get a new tranny?

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
if it rattles when the clutch is out and when you push it in the rattle goes away its a throw out bearing, i have been though 4 lol they are super cheap. does the tranny shift smootha nd good? no grinding? if the tranny is good then i would simply replace the clutch, pressure plate, resurface the flywheel REALLY GOOD or better yet buy a new one they are dirt cheap why risk issues, then get a new fork arm, pilot bearing, throw out bearing, bearing retainer, and clutch cable and quadrent its all pretty easy to put in since you have to take all but the pilot bearing off pretty much to swap in a clutch, expect 200 for labor plus the parts price.... www.gefracing.com is really good for oem stuff you can go with what ever brand you wish adn get a PROFESSIONAL to do it not a shade tree mechanic.... make sure you get a new cable and steeda or upr multihook quadrent (double hook = steeda 3 hook = ups) and a firewall adjuster to correctly take up the slack in the cable to prevent the noise from comming back later on down the road. i know it seems over kill but trust m you dont want to pay 400 bucks and it have th same noise before you did the job....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had it looked at, and when they replaced the clutch when i bought the car. they installed defective throw out bearing and pressure plate. So they are going to replace both of those and the clutch for free because of that. So that works good

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Make sure they also check the shift fork that the throwout bearing mounts on. If the fork arms are bent or out of alignment that can cause premature bearing wear and noise

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
I am talking about the fork the throw-out bearing rides on. Those fingers can heat up and deform causing misalignment. the whole thing does not deform just the carrier area due to head and pressure

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
That happend on my Dads '97 GT. The fork was bent, then the pressure plate wore out funny, or something like that.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
im talking about the forks in the tranny no thte fork arm, yes the fork arm can warp and screw up and what not.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts