Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2002 with the 5 speed. This is my first manual trans so i'm not sure what's normal and what isn't. When i'm putting the car in gear, mainly into 1st from a complete stop, sometimes it slides in smooth as butter. And other times i feel like it clicks into gear. I have this nagging feeling that it's maybe a bent or damaged fork. The other gears do it once in awhile too, but not enough to be noticeable. What do you guys think? If it is a damaged fork, what rough estimate would you think i'd need to pay to have it fixed?

·
Registered
620 Posts
I've got a 2002 with the 5 speed. This is my first manual trans so i'm not sure what's normal and what isn't. When i'm putting the car in gear, mainly into 1st from a complete stop, sometimes it slides in smooth as butter. And other times i feel like it clicks into gear. I have this nagging feeling that it's maybe a bent or damaged fork. The other gears do it once in awhile too, but not enough to be noticeable. What do you guys think? If it is a damaged fork, what rough estimate would you think i'd need to pay to have it fixed?
Are you talking about 1st gear only? Or are you talking about all gears? FYI if its a bent fork, just replace the whole clutch. Atleast that's what I did.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's most noticeable going into first gear, but i do feel it occasionally when going 1st to second. Like i said, it isn't like it does it all the time. Sometime it goes in effortlessly. And other times it feels like a sort of click, and then it goes in. It's two totally different feelings. And i've never driven manual prior to this, so i'm not sure what's normal and what isn't. Also, i've already planned on replacing the clutch, just need to save up a couple paychecks. With this being the car i'm learning in, i cannot imagine the hell that i've put it through. lol

·
Registered
620 Posts
It's most noticeable going into first gear, but i do feel it occasionally when going 1st to second. Like i said, it isn't like it does it all the time. Sometime it goes in effortlessly. And other times it feels like a sort of click, and then it goes in. It's two totally different feelings. And i've never driven manual prior to this, so i'm not sure what's normal and what isn't. Also, i've already planned on replacing the clutch, just need to save up a couple paychecks. With this being the car i'm learning in, i cannot imagine the hell that i've put it through. lol
Mine does the same thing. You should be alright. I think it's your car not fully engaging but mine has done it for ever. Just make sure you don't downshift into first

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
If you are at a higher rate of speed, my 97 cobra was that way. I was told it had a "lockout" type mechanism that would keep you from downshifting that far as the car would be at really dangerous rpm levels. I kinda thought it made sense but never knew if it was true or not (probably not lol) but I really did make sense and I rolled with it. I just waited until I was stopped to get first.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
If you are at a higher rate of speed, my 97 cobra was that way. I was told it had a "lockout" type mechanism that would keep you from downshifting that far as the car would be at really dangerous rpm levels. I kinda thought it made sense but never knew if it was true or not (probably not lol) but I really did make sense and I rolled with it. I just waited until I was stopped to get first.
+1 I can't downshift to 1st unless at a dead stop, I can probably force it in to downshift at 10 mph or so but tranny makes god awful NOOOOOOOO noise lol..

·
Registered
620 Posts
+1 I can't downshift to 1st unless at a dead stop, I can probably force it in to downshift at 10 mph or so but tranny makes god awful NOOOOOOOO noise lol..
Your not supposed to ever shift into first or reverse unless at a stop.

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
Yeah, i should've mentioned that it's when at a complete stop. Well if it doesn't seem abnormal, i guess my wallet owes you gentlemen a thank you.
Lol! We will take cash. No jk. Glad to help.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Mine would give me problems in 1st and reverse from a stop. I got a new clutch and it was fine completely went away. I summed it up to be a stretched clutch cable causing the clutch to not completely disengage.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm thinking the same thing, I'm not entirely sure if its fully engaging or not. So I'm thinking that's the first thing I'm going to do with this car. Is it required to replace the flywheel also after a clutch replacement, or do they just need to resurface it? I might just buy a new one regardless just curious though.

·
Registered
620 Posts
If you replace your clutch or cable after about 3-4 days of driving it, you should then re adjust your cable. Once the car gets hot and once that cable breaks in the clutch does not fully engage and your clutch will roast from it.

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

I'm thinking the same thing, I'm not entirely sure if its fully engaging or not. So I'm thinking that's the first thing I'm going to do with this car. Is it required to replace the flywheel also after a clutch replacement, or do they just need to resurface it? I might just buy a new one regardless just curious though.
You can have your flywheel resurfaced as well as replaced.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts