Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one who has NOT had a problem with the six speed transmission?
(13' GT)

What is the final verdict on replacing the transmission fluid so it doesn't blow up on me?

OEM Ford Fluids ?

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Not at all....it also came with Ford fluid in it. If you don't have any issues with it why mess with it unless you (like many of us) just like to play with cars and make it your own by modding it

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I just don't want a blown up transmission.
I'm thinking of the BG transmission fluids they are fully synthetic.

YouTube is littered with movies on this transmission and numerous problems so I'm thinking the sooner I get a better fluid in it the better.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
No I just don't want a blown up transmission.
I'm thinking of the BG transmission fluids they are fully synthetic.

YouTube is littered with movies on this transmission and numerous problems so I'm thinking the sooner I get a better fluid in it the better.
The problem is... none of those youtube videos want to admit driver error.

·
Registered
547 Posts

(13' GT)

What is the final verdict on replacing the transmission fluid so it doesn't blow up on me?

OEM Ford Fluids ?

It's not that people have problems as in "it fell out of the car" or "or blew up". It's that the shifting isn't as crisp as on other vehicles and it goes full ****** when you shift at high RPM. I've never had an issue with mine either but I have upgraded components of it/for it so that it's a better transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not that people have problems as in "it fell out of the car" or "or blew up". It's that the shifting isn't as crisp as on other vehicles and it goes full ****** when you shift at high RPM. I've never had an issue with mine either but I have upgraded components of it/for it so that it's a better transmission.

Don't be so sure that is a better transmission for one thing the shift forks have tiny little nylon fingers that fall off into your transmission preventing you from shifting in and out of gear, not cool.

I'm mostly interested in opinions on fluid though.

·
Registered
551 Posts
(13' GT)

OEM Ford Fluids ?
No reliability problems but I installed an MGW and changed the fluid to Red Line MTL shortly after I got the car new. A little bottle of Motorcraft XL-18 additive helps too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My opinion, it's a **** Trans. Takes work to get it to work right. Here's what I've done and now I'm fairly happy with it;
Steeda short throw with the bracket
Clutch and flywheel (more for performance and drop rotational weight)
Steeda Trans bushing really helped keep the shifts consistent.

I hear and read that the mgw shifter is the way to go, but I did mine so long ago, I think I'll keep mine the way it is now. 1/4 mile track performance is fairly consistent now.

·
Registered
67 Posts

I agree with this summary too

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm undecided if I should stick with the original ford fluids for about $100 or use the synthetic from BG which is probably around $50 and it is full synthetic.

I'm leaning on the BG because it's full synthetic.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't out much stock in those YouTube vids. Most of the people you see in those vids have no business driving a moped let alone a high powered muscle car. They don't know how to handle the power so when they do something stupid and break something naturally it's the parts fault for failing. People like that need a sign so the rest of us can avoid them. Ever talk to someone and feel like your IQ dropped several points when the conversation is over? That's those people in the YouTube vids. Lol

·
Registered
504 Posts
So here's a newb question. How do you flush an automatic transmission that doesn't have a dip stick? I know I can drop the pan, how do you add fluid? Am I missing something? Ha ha

And while I'm asking, how do you you bleed ABS brakes by yourself?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I highly recommend 2QTS of Amsoil MTF, .7 MTG & 1 bottle of Motorcraft XL-18 MT82 Additive. Works well for me. Shifts smooth, got rid of the 'nibble' & quieted down the whine slightly.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Mine was clunking terribly at 2 and 5 after adding royal purple. flushed and added the new ford dual clutch fluid, now no sound, smoother than before

My car came with the dual clutch own fluid and was terrible when in hi heat temperatures. My tranny sounded god awful when it got hot, I could literally hear everything turning inside the transmission and since heat is usually the number one killer of transmissions out went the dual clutch and in with RP. The Oem dual clutch is trash in our mt82s and should be replaced with RP, Amsoil, Red line ect, basically any top brand fluid of your choice.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So here's a newb question. How do you flush an automatic transmission that doesn't have a dip stick? I know I can drop the pan, how do you add fluid? Am I missing something? Ha ha

And while I'm asking, how do you you bleed ABS brakes by yourself?
How about starting your own thread on it !!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't out much stock in those YouTube vids. Most of the people you see in those vids have no business driving a moped let alone a high powered muscle car. They don't know how to handle the power so when they do something stupid and break something naturally it's the parts fault for failing. People like that need a sign so the rest of us can avoid them. Ever talk to someone and feel like your IQ dropped several points when the conversation is over? That's those people in the YouTube vids. Lol
I know what you mean but they can be useful for example this photo of the bad shift forks we have,plastic fingers are falling off the shift forks, this is not cool.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts