Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a '99 GT. We were wondering if its possible to convert his automatic to a manuel transmission. Any advice or recommendations on what to do?

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
It is possible, plausible even, but not practical...I've had the same thought about my auto and sticking a t-5 in there. i don't know how many ppl have tried it but i would recommend someone moving this to transmission...

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
you can get a changeover kit from Terry at midwest Mustang for about 1500 bucks, if you do it yourself it would be a lot of work, if you pay someone a small fortune would be your labor bill....

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
A set of gears , 3.73s or whatever, and a shiftkit will do about as much for that GT, that is what I did, and cost you a lot less money.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
get you a torque converter too and then it will be more efficient than a manual.

have him get 4.10s, converter, and shift kit, maybe an alum driveshaft, and he'll be able to beat any manual

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
true, look at the big time dragster cars, they are automatic, not standard transmissions.

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
thats cuz they do a 1/4 in like 4 seconds lol. I dont think itd be humanly possible to shift and still do a 4 second quarter in a car like that :D

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
a while back the old GM 2 speed autos were real popular for drag cars!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cool, so i can convert for about 1500 bucks, not bad. yea they were telling over at the ford dealer that it would be about 5000-7000, doing the whole transition: sensors, monitors, clutch addition, gear ratios, cpu crap, etc.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
its $1500 for parts. would be about another $1500-2000 for labor.

dealerships always over charge, but their work is guarenteed by ford. good bonus. plus they would be able to adjust the VIN# issue (vin encoding for an auto and a manual is in the car.... hard to explain)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Yeah, the only way you could do it for 1500 is if you did all the work yourself with the help of friends who did not charge you anything except maybe soda or beer. And that is if you didn't have to go out and buy anything else (sort of unlikely).

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
terry at midwest mustang told me i could convert to a manual including all parts and labor for 1500 and nothing more. its a used tranny, but you cant beat that price for parts and labor.

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
aslo here in cali if you do a automatic to a manual tranny swap it wont pass inspection, that is, if they actually look up your vin# and see that its supposed to be a automatic. happened to my freinds car, a civic automatic he had a new jap engine and manual put in but they wouldnt pass it cause its supposed to be auto. such bs. wouldnt getting a t-56 6 speed be way cooler though, how many v6 stangs have you seen with a 6 speed? alright and i assume the t56 has the same mounting brackets and such as the t5? and the addition of better gear ratios in the 6 would yeild better track times, and the 6th gear on the freeway would get great mileage. just my .02 cents. you gotta change the vin# though. just in cali i think.if you dont live here in cali, youre lucky, smog rules are so gay here. they wont even let you pass inspection if youre a ricer and you put your stock intake back on, but you left your rice exhaust on, its smog exempt, even with the silencer. dammit im moving out of this god forsaken, smog restrictions hellhole so i can really open up my exhaust.

·
Banned
7 Posts
u are wrong period!!!!!!
people with a little more experience in this matter like for example 5.0 magizine, mustang and fast fords magizine, and hot rod magizine said that a stick(manual) is a lot faster in the quarter mile then an auto.
reasons lighter, less horse power lost 8% in a 96-98 mustang, and no slip.
5.0 magizine just did a study on this issue they put a shift kit in and a stall converter and a hammer shifter (b and m) and still the stick produced more horse power

·
Banned
7 Posts
i am buying a conversion kit today and i am getting it for $1700 shipped to my house, and i also have a QUOTE from a local shop for $600 installed. ( kit includes petals, rebult transmission, fly wheel, clutch, cables, shifter, all the hardware) call (1865)484-1944 and ask for thomas and he will hook u up with a good kit

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
Please dont bring threads back from 4 years ago nearly. Converting to a manual from an auto is a bad idea 90% of the simple reason of the cost vs selling and buying a manual (manual cars are less expensive or at least the same) and the resale value of a car thats had the tranny swaped out to a non origional version etc etc etc and the hassel of having it done.

If you want to do it have fun just be ready for the downsides that go along with the good stuff.

thread closed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts