Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
R.I.P. - 10/06/2021
1,234 Posts
I'm going to do this in a couple months. So far i've read, there is no dip stick. You refill until the fluid runs out of the fill hole like we do when we change the rear end lube.

Remember you are only changing maybe half of the fluid, which is good enough for me. Changing the filter is my main concern anyway.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to do this in a couple months. So far i've read, there is no dip stick. You refill until the fluid runs out of the fill hole like we do when we change the rear end lube.

Remember you are only changing maybe half of the fluid, which is good enough for me. Changing the filter is my main concern anyway.
I have an automatic does that matter to what your speaking about.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is no dipstick. I've looked. I'm about to creep on 70,000 and I need to change all the fluids again besides the oil. It was just done.
So, how do I change the automatic transmission fluid myself or does that need to be done by the dealership? If there is no dip stick then how can one fill it up without the special machine the dealership uses

·
R.I.P. - 10/06/2021
1,234 Posts
I have an automatic does that matter to what your speaking about.

I have an automatic too. I only have a little over 18,000 miles but, i overkill everything on my maintenance. I'm just wondering if the filter screen has anything in it :)

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Read the responses on the other post on this subject that is on the same page (at least today). I'd flush it at 30K (I did mine). Get it to a Ford dealer or a transmission shop. Be sure the pan is dropped and the filter is changed too.
Dropping the pan and changing the filter will not get all the transmission fluid out. It would be like changing only 3 quarts of oil from your engine; leaving dirty fluid behind does not make sense. It needs to be flushed to get it all out. It's expensive;around $140.00 to $170.00 to do a proper flush, but worth the money knowing your automatic will last.

Heat is the number one factor for automatic transmission failure; it breaks down the additives in the oil as well.

Reactions: audioAl

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Read the responses on the other post on this subject that is on the same page (at least today). I'd flush it at 30K (I did mine). Get it to a Ford dealer or a transmission shop. Be sure the pan is dropped and the filter is changed too.
Dropping the pan and changing the filter will not get all the transmission fluid out. It would be like changing only 3 quarts of oil from your engine; leaving dirty fluid behind does not make sense. It needs to be flushed to get it all out. It's expensive;around $140.00 to $170.00 to do a proper flush, but worth the money knowing your automatic will last.

Heat is the number one factor for automatic transmission failure; it breaks down the additives in the oil as well.
Thanks bro.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
You bet. I've been doing flushes on my F150 since I had it new at 30 to 40K intervals. It has 210K on it now, and I've never had a transmission problem.

Some used to argue that a flush can dislodge crud and cause it to lodge in a valve body hole, and cause transmission failure after the flush. If you have 100K on the original fluid, then that might be true with the older type flush devices. If you flush it every 30 to 40K, I would think you'd not have any crud in the system. Plus, the new flush devices used do not "back flush" with high pressure, but rather inject new fluid into the send/return line from the automatic trans to the cooler (either the radiator or external trans cooler).

·
Registered
354 Posts
You bet. I've been doing flushes on my F150 since I had it new at 30 to 40K intervals. It has 210K on it now, and I've never had a transmission problem.

Some used to argue that a flush can dislodge crud and cause it to lodge in a valve body hole, and cause transmission failure after the flush. If you have 100K on the original fluid, then that might be true with the older type flush devices. If you flush it every 30 to 40K, I would think you'd not have any crud in the system. Plus, the new flush devices used do not "back flush" with high pressure, but rather inject new fluid into the send/return line from the automatic trans to the cooler (either the radiator or external trans cooler).
How vital is this for the MT82 guys? Just curious

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
How vital is this for the MT82 guys? Just curious
Not as much, other than getting gear bits out of the case from mis-shifting! Since the manual transmissions do not have clutch plates that are intended to slip (like automatics do), they do not generate as much heat, and do not have to change as often. They also use a much thicker viscosity oil.

Here's a link that explains the two differences:

http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repairqa/transmission/ques124_3.html

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
So, how do I change the automatic transmission fluid myself or does that need to be done by the dealership? If there is no dip stick then how can one fill it up without the special machine the dealership uses
I didn't know they had a machine? I thought maybe drop the pan and just put some in it and reattach lol

·
Registered
380 Posts
Apparently you can't change the fluid yourself and have to go to the dealership or transmission place for that.
You can do it yourself but i recommend havin a shop do it. You gotta have a pump to put the oil in and the way you check it is on the drain plug, theres a bolt in the middle of the plug take it out and if nothin comes out its low if it pours out its full, they say to plug it when it starts dripping. But you have to check it with the vehicle at running temperature

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can do it yourself but i recommend havin a shop do it. You gotta have a pump to put the oil in and the way you check it is on the drain plug, theres a bolt in the middle of the plug take it out and if nothin comes out its low if it pours out its full, they say to plug it when it starts dripping. But you have to check it with the vehicle at running temperature
Lol. I'll let a shop with a new machine do it . LMAO. That way I don't jack up my transmission. Lol

I got a 05 Mazda. Unplug it and drain. Fill back up in dip stick hole. Lol. Nice and easy

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
There might be confusion with manual transmissions and automatic transmissions here. Automatic transmissions require a machine to do a proper flush of the transmission fluid. Yes, you can drop the pan to remove about 4 quarts of fluid, then change the automatic transmission filter. However, this does not get all the automatic transmissions fluid out. Maybe a third of it. A flush device gets it all out and replaced with fresh fluid.

A manual transmission does indeed have a drain plug. Remove the upper fill plug first (they can be the most difficult to remove; don't want to be stuk with draining first if you cannot get the fill plug removed!). Then pump in the new fluid until it's right at the top of the fill plug opening (or about a half inch below the top; check with a repair manual to be sure). Manual transmissions are much easier to do, for sure.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts