Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After finally getting the missus's permission, I did a fluid swap on my MT82 this last weekend.

I did some looking - there seems to be a good split between redline, AMS, and royalpurple fluids. I went with RP Synchromax...I use RP for everything else with zero issues so I figured I'd stick with them. I also installed the whiteline transmission bushing insert.

Gotta say, I've got nothing bad to b!tch about with this trasmission anymore. The shifts are smooth and positive, I do NOT miss shifts under load, and I don't think the NVH is any worse (I'd heard the bushing insert could make things noisy). If it is more than before I wouldn't notice, my outlaws easily drown it out :hide:

I did a write up in the DIY section of the forums, if anyone wants to see what's involved with doing it.

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f392/t354755/#post2027543

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm not sure what ford is handing out, but I'm completely satisfied with the synchromax I've used. Seriously - to fix the MT82 you need an MGW, a trans bushing insert, a fluid swap, and call it a day. Pull the clutch assist spring if you want.

Each shift is firm and positive, there is no magic 'lockout' when shifting under power, and the cold tranny chatter is all but completely eliminated. Before, this transmission was a pain in the @ss. It's a damn sight better now. It reminds me of my buddy's LS1 Formula transmission, the TR6060. Not quite as bullet proof, but that same feel and feedback when bangin' thru gears.

edit: I guess he had a T56 in those years. Still, "improved MT82 is a go hmmkay!"

·
Registered
70 Posts
What's the trans bushing and where does this go? I didn't see it in your install post but maybe I missed it, I read through it fast. I've seen people say it helps, but what does it do?

·
Registered
112 Posts
What's the trans bushing and where does this go? I didn't see it in your install post but maybe I missed it, I read through it fast. I've seen people say it helps, but what does it do?

Google Vorschlag motorsports, search Whiteline with their search feature and scroll down the page. Pretty good info on their site. I'd post a link but I'm on my phone.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Google Vorschlag motorsports, search Whiteline with their search feature and scroll down the page. Pretty good info on their site. I'd post a link but I'm on my phone.
Wow thanks! Going to buy one today probably. Looks cheap, easy to install, and can't hurt. I've noticed shifting while turning at ANY speed is so clunky in this transmission. Some of the sounds that this thing emits when you don't shift perfectly make me feel like the tranny is falling apart.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The transmission bushing insert goes into the transmission mount - the main bushing that keeps the transmission centered under the car. During high load, the transmission can slightly shift or torque...making that 1-2nd or 2-3rd shift more difficult, because the shift linkage doesn't exactly align if the transmission is torqued outta alignment. The bushing simply firms up the support from the mount - thus, not allowing the transmission to move so far out of alignment under load that shifting becomes a problem.

The downside is increased NVH. I haven't really noticed much of a difference...others have. It's worth mentioning that I'm running flowmaster outlaws and I'm soon to be catless with an H-pipe. With all of that other sound and vibration present I think it's unlikely that I'd feel a bit more from the transmission.

For like 35 bucks though, its a good improvement for the MT82. Here's a link to the bushing on AM

----edit---
I didn't cover the install of the bushing in my fluid swap DIY post. The bushing install is super simple - literally 4 bolts holding the brace in place, and two bolts holding the bushing assembly together. Support the transmission before loosening the bolts with a bottle jack or something. Torque the big bolts to 47ft/lbs when reinstalling...it's honestly a 15minute job, and easier than most other jobs are. I coated the bushing in some leftover grease that came with my ENERGY suspension bushings for good measure - not going to risk an annoying squeak coming from it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Does it cure the crackling that happens when shifting from 1 to 2 while turning? I believe that's from the torque shift when pressing in the clutch, but I'm not sure. This sound also can happen sometimes when I'm in 1st gear and slowing down to park and I press in the clutch. It doesn't happen when I'm careful with giving the car a little bit of gas while pressing in the clutch...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think what you mean by cracking is maybe what I'm calling transmission chatter? You should still hear the gears engage/disengage...or you might be hearing the flywheel contacting the clutch plate.

Iunno, how does it feel to shift? notchy? vague? Does it fight you going into gears? I see you are already rocking an mgw - seriously try the fluid swap and the trans bushing. You can feasibly do both for under $120 bucks and an afternoon's worth of garage work.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think the chatter I'm hearing is the gears disengaging. If you don't shift perfectly, sometimes you can hear the gears chattering because of the torque difference. Usually happens to me in lower gears (1 to 2 shift). I've got the bushing on order so I'll see how it is after I put it in, thanks!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well...It's 6 years later. How has the RP Synchromax held up?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts