Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 GT with a 5 speed. I noticed today (its been raining all day) I have a weird noise when the clutch is out, sounds like a light whining noise, also when i am in first gear, i have a grinding sound. Never had a mustang or been in a newer style mustang. So i am not sure whats normal for these transmissions.

Thank you everyone!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The car has 54,500 miles and am going to assume most parts are still stock, i get i slight vibration at an idle after the car warms up a bit, cant tell if its exhaust or engine is running rough, doesn't seem like it though. Think the noise could be a throwout bearing and maybe causing the vibration also? Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
681 Posts
buickregal79 said:
The car has 54,500 miles and am going to assume most parts are still stock, i get i slight vibration at an idle after the car warms up a bit, cant tell if its exhaust or engine is running rough, doesn't seem like it though. Think the noise could be a throwout bearing and maybe causing the vibration also? Thanks again everyone.
Hi. I'm no tech, but I learn as I go. The TOB won't cause the vibration, but a misfire (MF) will. MF can be caused by spark or injector problems. I'm using my iPhone so ear with me. The noise you hear could well be the TOB. Before I move on here's a tip. Many TOB associated with used car manual transmissions fail almost instantly, even high end ones. I have no idea why, but they do. Live with it as Lon as you can then change it. Get an a firewall adjustable kit so you can make timely adjustments. About the idle. Do what the repair manual says. I'm sure you have one, if not buy one. Here's a tip: start the engine, put it in first, ease the pedal out while stepping on the brake pedal (create a bog). Does the car vibrate? Try it in 2nd, does the same happen? If it does, you have a misfire. That my friend is a pro short cut. Listen to your exhaust, does it thump instead of flow easily? You get my drift.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, i changed my plugs last night, they were original not a surprise, that fixed the small vibration from running slightly rough, and as for the tranny noise i guess i am going to have to replace the Throwout bearing. Any easy instructions on how to do it? And i have no idea how to adjust a cable clutch i have always had hydraulic.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
buickregal79 said:
OK, i changed my plugs last night, they were original not a surprise, that fixed the small vibration from running slightly rough, and as for the tranny noise i guess i am going to have to replace the Throwout bearing. Any easy instructions on how to do it? And i have no idea how to adjust a cable clutch i have always had hydraulic.
Wouldn't bother replacing it unless its screaming or you need a clutch cause a new one will just start making noise too.. 9 out of every 10 make noise.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really? That common? That blows, but as soon as this started i have a odd grinding type noise in first at low rpm and speed and same in 2nd.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have the exact same grinding noise when starting slowly in first. Car has same miles as urs and it seems to b more noticeable in the rain for some reason. Would love some advice. I also have a really rough idle but that grinding noise is driving me nuts

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have a chirping TOB too. It's about to drive me crazy. Can't hardly stand to drive it anymore. I have a friend that just ordered a Ram clutch and a Ford Racing TOB so I'm going to replace mine with the Ram one. Only because its free and I can't stand the noise anymore. Hopefully it will last a while.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Silver Pony said:
I have a chirping TOB too. It's about to drive me crazy. Can't hardly stand to drive it anymore. I have a friend that just ordered a Ram clutch and a Ford Racing TOB so I'm going to replace mine with the Ram one. Only because its free and I can't stand the noise anymore. Hopefully it will last a while.
Do u know how much the part cost him?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe i have to original clutch in mine (54,000miles), so i am going with a ford racing clutch and heavy duty TOB, i want to replace my pilot bearing also, whats the best to use?

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
When im in 5th gear lower rpms say 50 mph at about a 1300-1500 rpm mine makes a whining sound i dont know if its normal to just be driving but it dont sound bad since the tranny and all is just right there, anything wrond of is it normal?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts