Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past 400 miles or so 1st gear started popping out more and more.. its pissing me off too.. lol. What do I need to do to fox this? New syncros? New tranny? I was also told that I should try a thicker tranny oil and it should help... What you guys think?? It has the royal purple syncromax in it now..
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
4,786 Posts
Rebuild or replace. Be carful as all it takes is on time popping out can break it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,779 Posts
Re: 1st gear pop outs..

Needs a rebuild or replacement.The gears are worn or the shifting forks are bent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,507 Posts
Re: 1st gear pop outs..

You're looking at $1200-1500 for a brand new one and probably the same or more to rebuild yours...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Sn95fitty said:
Over the past 400 miles or so 1st gear started popping out more and more.. its pissing me off too.. lol. What do I need to do to fox this? New syncros? New tranny? I was also told that I should try a thicker tranny oil and it should help... What you guys think?? It has the royal purple syncromax in it now..
The tip of the main shaft resides in the back of the input shaft which has a bearing made of rollers. The rollers and/ or tip of the main shaft could be shot. Makes the shafts move around.
The synchros can be worn out too. Needs to come apart.
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
4,786 Posts
ColeJohnson said:
You're looking at $1200-1500 for a brand new one and probably the same or more to rebuild yours...
A new T5 is $1295 on basically every Mustang parts site. Just to clarify anything beyond $1300 will be for a different, stronger transmission.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
deadsp0t said:
A new T5 is $1295 on basically every Mustang parts site. Just to clarify anything beyond $1300 will be for a different, stronger transmission.
Damn... I might just sell it and get a bike.. or trade for one..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
Sn95fitty said:
Damn... I might just sell it and get a bike.. or trade for one..
A guy on Baltimore Craigslist sells them rebuilt for 690 with your core. I know someone who bought one and it was a good tranny. Went high 11s on it without a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
5.slow said:
A guy on Baltimore Craigslist sells them rebuilt for 690 with your core. I know someone who bought one and it was a good tranny. Went high 11s on it without a problem.
Thanks I'll check that out..

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

keaton5.0 said:
Jegs sell a t5 rebuild kit for like 350 i believe. 1300 for a rebuild KIT is crazy!
Yeah I saw that too..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
A t-5 rebuild here in southern California is anywhere from 800-1000 rebuilding with OEM spec parts.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
422 Posts
dreamstang said:
He is probably talking with labor. Not to many people pike tackling that in there garage.
Ah good catch. I read an article on rebuilding a t5, in muscle mustangs and fast fords i believe, and it isnt as difficult of a task as most people think it is.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,779 Posts
Re: 1st gear pop outs..

Jegs sell a t5 rebuild kit for like 350 i believe. 1300 for a rebuild KIT is crazy!
He is probably talking with labor. Not to many people pike tackling that in there garage.
If you guys are talking about deadsp0t's post, he is talking about new transmissions, not a rebuild kit.

Ah good catch. I read an article on rebuilding a t5, in muscle mustangs and fast fords i believe, and it isnt as difficult of a task as most people think it is.

No, it is not very difficult, but I'd bet a rebuild kit is not going to have the parts you may need for this issue.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,779 Posts
Re: 1st gear pop outs..

I was more talking of this. And what keaton said. :good:
Ok, when he mentioned $1300 I figured he was referring to deadsp0t's post. :eek:: :good:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Sn95fitty said:
Over the past 400 miles or so 1st gear started popping out more and more.. its pissing me off too.. lol. What do I need to do to fox this? New syncros? New tranny? I was also told that I should try a thicker tranny oil and it should help... What you guys think?? It has the royal purple syncromax in it now..
You can use a trainny liquid called Trans X I got the same problem and after I used that thing all my problems were gone!!! That thing cost like 10 bucks at a local O'Reilly or any other store
 

·
Forum Car Trader
Joined
·
1,150 Posts
fatto said:
You can use a trainny liquid called Trans X I got the same problem and after I used that thing all my problems were gone!!! That thing cost like 10 bucks at a local O'Reilly or any other store
That's a bandaid on a bullet wound!!! Ouch. It needs a fresh trans
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top