Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK maybe a dumb question but here it goes what auto transmission am I running according to Wikipedia starting in the 2003 mustang gt and mach 1 ford put in the 4R75W so how can I find out which tranny I have.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
17,969 Posts
Technically there were a few in 2003 but almost every single 03 GT/Mach had the 4R70w. The 75w is identifiable by a plastic plug right in the middle of the trans that the 70w does not have. Below is a 75w. If yours has that yellow plastic plug then you are very lucky, if not the 70w is still a good trans and will take more power than the stock bottom end will.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I guess I'm in the lucky crowd I do have the yellow plug car built in may 03. And who said scottydsntknow. Awesome

·
Super Moderator
17,969 Posts
Lol yeah May 03 would have been the last month the 03s were actually made IIRC. They did begin to use the 75w in 03 when the stock of 70w transmissions was used up.

Only "gotcha" with your car is you will have a 24 pulse OSS reluctor wheel vs the 6 pulse on the 70w so if you ever get the car tuned you will need to let them know that.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK cool good to know thanks scotty . even if its a canned tune still let them know?

·
Super Moderator
17,969 Posts
I would just to make sure. If they shoot you a canned tune for an 03 they very well may think you have a 70w.

·
Super Moderator
17,969 Posts
And just so I am 100% sure you knew what I meant, I meant the plug in the middle of the trans, not the one on the tailshaft... Most of the later new edge transmissions didn't even have a plug on the tailshaft, the bung was just not tapped.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes that's the one I thought you were talking about since I don't have one on the tail shaft but I do have the other one saw it while looking over the tranny while changing the mount

1 - 9 of 9 Posts