Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put 2 12" kicker subs in my Car and when they are up loud at all i get a real bad rattle, so i was wondering if any of you have had or do have this problem and what i could do to fix it.

·
I liek gramer
8,537 Posts
check to see if you can distinguish where the rattle is comin from.

license plate, spoiler, trunk panels, etc.

I stuck styrofoam on the impact points of the trunk. Helped a little.

·
I liek gramer
8,537 Posts
when u close the trunk, where the lid impacts with the body of the car. Probably has those little springs there.

i laid some around the trim too, left and right of the latch in the middle.

·
I liek gramer
8,537 Posts
no digi cam here in birmingham... :(

maybe somebody can let ya know with a pic.

I have a 99 btw, but i used to have a 97 and i don't think there's much difference in what i'm talking about.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've had 6 cars that have had this problem. Its been both the top of the trunk lid to the license plate and frame. For the license plate they make a foam sticker thats about 1/4 thick to attach to the back of it and that takes care of that. The trunk lid itself there is a rockford fosgate foam spray that is dense enough to get rid of most of the rattle if you spray it on the right spots. Just turn it up and listen to where its rattling and spray and let it set up. Then go to the next spot. Thats a good way to get rid of the annoying rattles.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
I went through my old car and tightened up each and every bolt in the trunk and then sprayed a type of foam over them, put a rubber grommet over the trunk latch, did the foam behind license plate thing, spent about 2 weeks trying to find each and every rattle in the trunk. Then...I turned it up and my driver's side door started rattling, so I said screw it lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
something will always rattle.

when my truck was brand new, there was no rattle, but then my rear windshield started rattleing, then my passenger side mirror, a piece between the cab and the bed, etc., etc.

you're fighting a losing battle...

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
You won't have to sound deaden the entire trunk. You just have to find the certain spots to do it in. One major weak point in the trunk is the rear deck. The next major spot, I believe, is the underside of the trunk.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Dom said:
You won't have to sound deaden the entire trunk. You just have to find the certain spots to do it in. One major weak point in the trunk is the rear deck. The next major spot, I believe, is the underside of the trunk.
True dat! :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dom said:
yep, also make sure that your third brake light isnt comming loose. that was one of my loudest rattles. i tightened the screws and it went away.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts