Mustang Evolution Forum banner

261 - 280 of 303 Posts

·
ME Bloodhound
14,697 Posts
Ran a mile on the treadmill. It said like 8:30ish, but that was with a walking start to warm up my legs a little. So probably in the 7s. I'm so out of shape lol. Got new athletic shoes yesterday, so they should help. Current ones are a pain to run in
ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1486573399.872582.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Lorraine's driver
8,167 Posts
Ran a mile on the treadmill. It said like 8:30ish, but that was with a walking start to warm up my legs a little. So probably in the 7s. I'm so out of shape lol. Got new athletic shoes yesterday, so they should help. Current ones are a pain to run in
View attachment 219473
At your age, it won't take you long at all to get back in running shape.

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
Still doesn't take me that long honestly... but I find that the treadmill isn't NEARLY has helpful as running on the track. Problem is its impact exercise. Elliptical and stairmaster are much much better for the joints.

·
ME Bloodhound
14,697 Posts
At your age, it won't take you long at all to get back in running shape.
Still doesn't take me that long honestly... but I find that the treadmill isn't NEARLY has helpful as running on the track. Problem is its impact exercise. Elliptical and stairmaster are much much better for the joints.
Yeah I'm not a fan of a treadmill either. I did best in high school with actual running around the school on the dirt paths, and on the track. I want to start training harder so I can do something like the Spartan Race.... But I also want to get into Power Lifting lol. My best mile time was Freshman year of high school, during wrestling season. A 6:30.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've been using my time overseas as an opportunity to get back in shape while I have nothing else to do after work. Started out at 207, and am currently down to 165 as of last night. Began with changing my diet, walking to and from work instead of the bus, and now running just about every night on the elliptical due to the terrible roads, lack of light, and poor air quality in Jalalabad. Doing between 8 and 9 miles a night when setting the timer for an hour. The key for me is distraction...I put a movie or some tv shows on my tablet and cover the display on the machine, so I only focus on the tablet. I'm done running before I know it, and seems to be doing the job. Just a suggestion from a fellow vet. Good luck to you Scotty.

Sent from sunny Afghanistan

·
Lorraine's driver
8,167 Posts
I've been using my time overseas as an opportunity to get back in shape while I have nothing else to do after work. Started out at 207, and am currently down to 165 as of last night. Began with changing my diet, walking to and from work instead of the bus, and now running just about every night on the elliptical due to the terrible roads, lack of light, and poor air quality in Jalalabad. Doing between 8 and 9 miles a night when setting the timer for an hour. The key for me is distraction...I put a movie or some tv shows on my tablet and cover the display on the machine, so I only focus on the tablet. I'm done running before I know it, and seems to be doing the job. Just a suggestion from a fellow vet. Good luck to you Scotty.

Sent from sunny Afghanistan
That's exactly what I do when I'm walking indoors. It really helps LOL. Thanks for your service! :thumb:

·
ME Bloodhound
14,697 Posts
Tested out my new running shoes. Ran from home through the park and to the movie theater, and back. Probably just under 2 miles in total. Didn't time myself, though or track actual distance. But man I definitely have to do more cardio lol. Its just so hard for me to bulk up as it Is.

About to order some more stuff from bodybuilding.com also. Another shirt, tank top, and then gonna try some liquid chalk, my gloves are getting beat up and slipping a bit from deadlifting.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Only just found this but interesting reads. Im not that into getting really big but I understand my body type and love it. Im 5"11 and currently about 150. I used to fight(3-2 kickbox and 2-0 mma) a lil bit back but was only 135-140. Doing the fighting work out style was great for cardio and strength. As of recently I have just been lifting at my house and have gotten back up to 225 bench, I want to get to 100lbs over my weight as a end goal. I wanted to fight again or do grappling before I start pharmacy school in fall because my life will end for 4 years once I start. IDK how you guys can even get out to run, I hate it so much

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
ME Bloodhound
14,697 Posts
Only just found this but interesting reads. Im not that into getting really big but I understand my body type and love it. Im 5"11 and currently about 150. I used to fight(3-2 kickbox and 2-0 mma) a lil bit back but was only 135-140. Doing the fighting work out style was great for cardio and strength. As of recently I have just been lifting at my house and have gotten back up to 225 bench, I want to get to 100lbs over my weight as a end goal. I wanted to fight again or do grappling before I start pharmacy school in fall because my life will end for 4 years once I start. IDK how you guys can even get out to run, I hate it so much

I hate running also. I just got back into it because I need to work in cardio some how. And I really want to do the Spartan Race. For the last few years it was just 100% weight lifting for me. And my heart rate was a tad high last time I went to the doctor for a check up lol.

So far I'm at:
Bench: 225
Squat: 370
Deadlift: 405

Lets see where I'm at when I look through this thread in a long time.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,167 Posts
I don't run anymore because I need new hips lol, but I'll tell you that I hated running too. I used to run 6 to 8 miles every other day when I was in my late 20's and early 30's. I really wanted to run, because everyone says how good it made them feel. The way I did it was I ran every day for two weeks solid. I increased the distance each day by a little. I got to 2.5 miles after two weeks. For the third week, I ran 2.5 miles every other day and worked on increasing my speed. I noticed at about 4 weeks into running that I was really enjoying it. It made me feel great and sleep really good too. It took me about 4 months to get up to 5 mile runs at about 7 min mile average. It is really worth it and if I could run now, I would totally be running. I got to where I could run a little I've 6 min mile average for my runs and could eat whatever the hell I wanted lol.

When I was 19-20, I benched 320, could squat 400, and power clean 235. I do wish I would have never stopped lifting, but now I want to focus on my core middle section, like back and stomach. I hear a strong core can help with avoiding injuries, aches and pains, and just overall strength.

·
ME Bloodhound
14,697 Posts
I don't run anymore because I need new hips lol, but I'll tell you that I hated running too. I used to run 6 to 8 miles every other day when I was in my late 20's and early 30's. I really wanted to run, because everyone says how good it made them feel. The way I did it was I ran every day for two weeks solid. I increased the distance each day by a little. I got to 2.5 miles after two weeks. For the third week, I ran 2.5 miles every other day and worked on increasing my speed. I noticed at about 4 weeks into running that I was really enjoying it. It made me feel great and sleep really good too. It took me about 4 months to get up to 5 mile runs at about 7 min mile average. It is really worth it and if I could run now, I would totally be running. I got to where I could run a little I've 6 min mile average for my runs and could eat whatever the hell I wanted lol.

When I was 19-20, I benched 320, could squat 400, and power clean 235. I do wish I would have never stopped lifting, but now I want to focus on my core middle section, like back and stomach. I hear a strong core can help with avoiding injuries, aches and pains, and just overall strength.
Look up Athlean X. He does a lot of informational stuff and puts a big emphasis on the core and how to work it properly. Pretty helpful stuff.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If im ever going to run I would need a buddy. My gf said she would with me but its a pain for me to go to an actual gym and weather isnt greatest(been great winter though). I have everything I need in my basement except fancy machines and stuff to go heavy on legs

·
ME Bloodhound
14,697 Posts
Had a lot of extra time today. Did a pretty good shoulder workout, then some core, then a mile and a half on the treadmill (averaged 7:50 pace), then more core. I was surprised I wasn't too tired after the mile at 7:50, so the last half I bumped it to near 7:00. But of course its easier on a treadmill than on pavement or turf.

·
ME Bloodhound
14,697 Posts
Ok so I've started to track my protein, carbs, and fat intake. I thought I was eating a lot before, but was nowhere near where I should have been. Have really stepped up how much I'm eating, and it feels like it is helping. I'm getting noticeably stronger. I'm basically eating every 2-3 hours. Could also be that I'm able to spend another 30-40 minutes working out than before I ended work. Probably a combination.

Also got new protein powder, which is a good percentage of Casein. So the slower digestion is helping keep the muscles fed through the day and at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Super Moderator
17,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
Transitioning to running on the balls of my feet for better cardio/less impact on the joints. Got a cheap set of shoes for this at the exchange but need a better set so I got a pair of Newtons.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JUA179Y/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No shame in getting last year's shoe for half the price of the current ones, for someone like me they should be great. Multiple ppl at work who are serious runners swear by them and they force you to run on the balls of your feet.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,167 Posts
Coming up on a good time of the year to run, unless you have spring allergies anyways. I'm looking forward to getting outside lol. Can't believe all the snow out east. I still haven't added weight lifting into my workout yet. I was waiting to hit that weight loss wall where you're stuck at a weight. I'm gonna meet with a trainer in early April. We get a free session with our membership. C'mon Spring lol.

·
ME Bloodhound
14,697 Posts
Coming up on a good time of the year to run, unless you have spring allergies anyways. I'm looking forward to getting outside lol. Can't believe all the snow out east. I still haven't added weight lifting into my workout yet. I was waiting to hit that weight loss wall where you're stuck at a weight. I'm gonna meet with a trainer in early April. We get a free session with our membership. C'mon Spring lol.
I'm going to try to go on the days I don't have daytime classes. So tue/thu/sat/sun. Its already in the 70s here. I got a nice sun burn on Sunday lmao.

261 - 280 of 303 Posts