Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinions or thoughts on either one. Most in here from using search give thumbs down to the tb and thumbs up on the tune.

I was planning on waiting another year or so to get the tune just in case something happens as my dealer gave me a look just from having a cai installed. So you can assume they aren't mod friendly. But after talking with a few buddies they said to just get the tuner in their opinion. Said I can do more with it in the long run.

The bbk throttle body seems to be a hot item lately and once again doesn't require a tune. 5hp 8tq between 2-4krpm is where it would be noticed I suppose but it seems expensive. And there isn't a whole lot of data in it other than conflicting opinions. Those that have them seem to like them but those that don't feel like you should use the money elsewhere.

Outside if a tune and some new wheels I don't know if I'll do a whole lot more until I pay it off. Then I may play with suspension and some other things.

That was long winded.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Your in a common pinch my friend. Tune VS no tune to save your warranty... everything I have herd about the TB is, well, not so great. Things like little or no improvement is not an uncommon statement post install sadly. I think of the TB as one of those final bolt on parts that you do after everything else and are searching for tiny things before you break down and get a turbo/supercharger or internals.... If you want my opinion, I say no to the TB.

As for the tune, I am in the same boat. I have the $ and want to do it but it kills me that I payed for a warranty and will ruin it with a tune. Have you thought about exhaust? there are some decent gains that can be had from just axle backs. I have been playing with the idea of lowering springs but I have speed bumps around here that scare me. Maybe black out your lights (i recommend caps on headlights so they can be removed at night) and get some tint. if you dont want to drop a ton on wheels you could powder coat your stockies for around $400. If your manual then maybe a short throw?... just ideas, hope this helps

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would suggest getting the tune, like you I was also worried about my warranty so I did end up buying the 73mm tb and the HP gain FELT like nothing through I'm sure there was some. A month later when I realize that my dealer would void my warranty for also every ridiculous upgrade I just got the tune and said to hell with the warranty. The tune gives your car a very noticeable HP increase. I was able to smoke a g37 :D so think about it

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

rebeltx said:
Your in a common pinch my friend. Tune VS no tune to save your warranty... everything I have herd about the TB is, well, not so great. Things like little or no improvement is not an uncommon statement post install sadly. I think of the TB as one of those final bolt on parts that you do after everything else and are searching for tiny things before you break down and get a turbo/supercharger or internals.... If you want my opinion, I say no to the TB.

As for the tune, I am in the same boat. I have the $ and want to do it but it kills me that I payed for a warranty and will ruin it with a tune. Have you thought about exhaust? there are some decent gains that can be had from just axle backs. I have been playing with the idea of lowering springs but I have speed bumps around here that scare me. Maybe black out your lights (i recommend caps on headlights so they can be removed at night) and get some tint. if you dont want to drop a ton on wheels you could powder coat your stockies for around $400. If your manual then maybe a short throw?... just ideas, hope this helps
Great idea, but the dealer ship will void your suspension warranty just for lowering and exhaust and all that crap. Sorry to ruin hopes?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I have axel backs and the raxioms and I plastidipped my wheels for the time being. That with the tint and I have my blacked out look. I also dropped with the ultralites from steeda.

Not sure if I will do a whole lot more besides the tune and wheels. I know I like the black out look so I will probably get the rtr set. I'm itching for a little performance gain and there seems to be slim to none problems with a tune. So I'm like you it's tempting but then there is the what if something goes wrong.

Thanks for the input.

I did get the wife's blessing to do either one. I may spring for the livewire ts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Im with ya on the live wire TS. Being able to store more than 3 tunes is nice plus the display capability will save you from buying additional gauges for now. Not to mention the resale will be much higher if you ever decide to get rid of it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
JAC20 said:
Opinions or thoughts on either one. Most in here from using search give thumbs down to the tb and thumbs up on the tune.

I was planning on waiting another year or so to get the tune just in case something happens as my dealer gave me a look just from having a cai installed. So you can assume they aren't mod friendly. But after talking with a few buddies they said to just get the tuner in their opinion. Said I can do more with it in the long run.

The bbk throttle body seems to be a hot item lately and once again doesn't require a tune. 5hp 8tq between 2-4krpm is where it would be noticed I suppose but it seems expensive. And there isn't a whole lot of data in it other than conflicting opinions. Those that have them seem to like them but those that don't feel like you should use the money elsewhere.

Outside if a tune and some new wheels I don't know if I'll do a whole lot more until I pay it off. Then I may play with suspension and some other things.

That was long winded.
Hey I will have a throttle body for you with just about 500 miles on it.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts

That was long winded.
Tune bro! I say a TB if you already have a full exhaust with CAI

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
Check the flow rating of the CAI you have (or are planning to buy) before swapping out the Throttle Body (TB) with a larger flow one. Most CAI's that are sold for the 3.7 V6 flow the same amount of air as the stock air system. This prevented having to install a tune to change the MAF sensor calculations.

Simply put: if you bought a CAI that did not require a tune (example: C&L), then it most likely will not work well with a larger TB install; it will restrict the amount of air the larger TB is capable of using.

Do some homework before plunk down the cash for a TB.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Pretty sure your dealer will try to void your warranty for a TB. You could always take it off before you go in but assuming you didn't then you could have issues.

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
I say tuner 1000%. Let me tell you bro, out of all my mods the tuner is what brings the power out. And I can guarantee that you will not get those gains out of a throttle body without supporting mods. And the main supporting mod being a tuner. I have the SCT iTSX on my '11 3.7 and I couldn't be happier and you get free tunes for life with Bama and the life of your car. Imo tuner should always be the first mod. And as the other guy said you can get reasonable gains out of exhaust too, especially if you go O/R midpipe. Just my .02

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Check the flow rating of the CAI you have (or are planning to buy) before swapping out the Throttle Body (TB) with a larger flow one. Most CAI's that are sold for the 3.7 V6 flow the same amount of air as the stock air system. This prevented having to install a tune to change the MAF sensor calculations.

Simply put: if you bought a CAI that did not require a tune (example: C&L), then it most likely will not work well with a larger TB install; it will restrict the amount of air the larger TB is capable of using.

Do some homework before plunk down the cash for a TB.
That's for the heads up. I have the bbk because of the no tune. The whole warranty thing. Lesson learned on that one but I had the cash and I like the look and sound and that was my main reason for that mod. If I could go back I would have probably gotten the steeda and a tune.

I say tuner 1000%. Let me tell you bro, out of all my mods the tuner is what brings the power out. And I can guarantee that you will not get those gains out of a throttle body without supporting mods. And the main supporting mod being a tuner. I have the SCT iTSX on my '11 3.7 and I couldn't be happier and you get free tunes for life with Bama and the life of your car. Imo tuner should always be the first mod. And as the other guy said you can get reasonable gains out of exhaust too, especially if you go O/R midpipe. Just my .02
How do you like the itsx?

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to do the tune. Problems is I don't have a pc that runs windows so ill have to borrow one to load new tunes and update IfI ever need to. Unless I get the wireless one.

I'm going to wait to order until the next fill up that way I can start cycling 93 through it.

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
That's for the heads up. I have the bbk because of the no tune. The whole warranty thing. Lesson learned on that one but I had the cash and I like the look and sound and that was my main reason for that mod. If I could go back I would have probably gotten the steeda and a tune.

How do you like the itsx?

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to do the tune. Problems is I don't have a pc that runs windows so ill have to borrow one to load new tunes and update IfI ever need to. Unless I get the wireless one.

I'm going to wait to order until the next fill up that way I can start cycling 93 through it.
I have the steeda Cai also and I love it. As for the iTSX I thought I would use the app more but I don't . That being said it works flawlessly. I can add the email tunes right from my Droid. You can do the same with a iPhone iPad etc. Just make sure your battery is at a decent % before you install. I almost f'ed up but luckily I wasn't tuning my car at the time only transferring a tune to the tuner. I'm not sure how long it takes a normal handheld tuner to tune but it take the iTSX about 10-15 min to copy your stock tune and transfer the custom tune over. I'm about to change tunes here in a few min and ill let you know how long it takes to go from custom to custom.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Tune you will notice most change shift points optimize your other mods. I have TB it is noticeable

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the steeda Cai also and I love it. As for the iTSX I thought I would use the app more but I don't . That being said it works flawlessly. I can add the email tunes right from my Droid. You can do the same with a iPhone iPad etc. Just make sure your battery is at a decent % before you install. I almost f'ed up but luckily I wasn't tuning my car at the time only transferring a tune to the tuner. I'm not sure how long it takes a normal handheld tuner to tune but it take the iTSX about 10-15 min to copy your stock tune and transfer the custom tune over. I'm about to change tunes here in a few min and ill let you know how long it takes to go from custom to custom.
Cool. I'm thinking about the livewire Ts and then I can have the custom gauges up etc. don't care too much about that though but im curious about the istx.

·
Registered
289 Posts
And btw 95 percent of cold air intakes for the 11 v6 don't need a tune and there are gains only one that you need a tube is steeda one I believe

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
And btw 95 percent of cold air intakes for the 11 v6 don't need a tune and there are gains only one that you need a tube is steeda one I believe
The steeda Cai has a much larger intake tube. That is why it requires a tune. I started up my car with the Cai before the tune and it almost wouldn't idle. It wanted to stale.

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
The steeda Cai has a much larger intake tube. That is why it requires a tune. I started up my car with the Cai before the tune and it almost wouldn't idle. It wanted to stale.
Yep. The MAF could not handle the larger air flow with its stock mappings. A tune compensates for this. Once the TB is changed out, another custom tune will be required, and then you start to see the gains with a larger TB and CAI to support it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts