Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When im putting a new tune do i need to put the car back to stock or do i go ahead and just load the new tune

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
No put the car back to stock b4 loading a new tune. If not it's possible to get the new tune crossed with the old tune.

Put the car back to stock first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
268 Posts
No put the car back to stock b4 loading a new tune. If not it's possible to get the new tune crossed with the old tune.

Put the car back to stock first.

That's a myth I just talked to American muscle about this. They said it's just like downloading new software for your phone it replaces existing software it's a myth that you need to go back to Stock tune before loading in a New tune..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
That's a myth I just talked to American muscle about this. They said it's just like downloading new software for your phone it replaces existing software it's a myth that you need to go back to Stock tune before loading in a New tune..

No its not a myth.
Believe as you wish.

·
Registered
457 Posts
It only takes a few extra minutes, I'd play it safe and return to stock first.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Do u like always arguing with me dude? Agree to disagree . Bama told me this first hand .. Back off dude

Not necessarily. I'm all for agreeing to disagree, so fine.

As for "first-hand" experience... I've had the aftermarket tune crossing problem before. Was from going back and forth from Steeda and MPT tunes. MPT was able to solve the issue by explaining how the PCM flashes the calibration parameters on top of existing ones (if my memory serves me right). I even created a thread about it a while back.

I mean I personally like my pcm being bricked
Yeah man, gotta make sure your PCM is rock-solid so it can take a good beating every now and then. :lol:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Not necessarily. I'm all for agreeing to disagree, so fine.

As for "first-hand" experience... I've had the aftermarket tune crossing problem before. Was from going back and forth from Steeda and MPT tunes. MPT was able to solve the issue by explaining how the PCM flashes the calibration parameters on top of existing ones (if my memory serves me right). I even created a thread about it a while back.

I honestly think either way is fine.. My buddy works at ford and he said starting in 2005 the Pcm changed ... I have done it about 8 times without going back to a stock tune and I never bricked or hurt anything. I'm just saying.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I honestly think either way is fine.. My buddy works at ford and he said starting in 2005 the Pcm changed ... I have done it about 8 times without going back to a stock tune and I never bricked or hurt anything. I'm just saying.

It's completely dependent on your tuner. You can go from Bama's performance to race tunes all day. I think I even went from Bama to Steeda a few times. But MPT didn't mix with any other than the stock tune.

·
Registered
268 Posts
It's completely dependent on your tuner. You can go from Bama's performance to race tunes all day. I think I even went from Bama to Steeda a few times. But MPT didn't mix with any other than the stock tune.

Yes, that is what I was trying come a cross and say. What do u think of the new ford racing tunes? My buddy says they are way safer for u car and transmission then bama has. Is he just saying that or is there some truth to it?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Yes, that is what I was trying come a cross and say. What do u think of the new ford racing tunes? My buddy says they are way safer for u car and transmission then bama has. Is he just saying that or is there some truth to it?

If you're talking about their Pro Cal or Track Cal tunes, of course they're going to be "safer" than aftermarket tunes like Bama. The Ford Racing tunes are extremely conservative and make less power/less performance oriented.

No matter who makes the tunes (provided they tune it correctly), the more performance you get out of the tune, the more wear you cause on mechanical parts. Thus shortening their lifespan.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you're talking about their Pro Cal or Track Cal tunes, of course they're going to be "safer" than aftermarket tunes like Bama. The Ford Racing tunes are extremely conservative and make less power/less performance oriented.

No matter who makes the tunes (provided they tune it correctly), the more performance you get out of the tune, the more wear you cause on mechanical parts. Thus shortening their lifespan.

So why does ford make it so conservative unlike bama tunes? Do u think ford racing tunes are safer for the long term health of the car?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
So why does ford make it so conservative unlike bama tunes? Do u think ford racing tunes are safer for the long term health of the car?

It's all for $$$ my friend. Ford is basically selling the stock tune (with tiny more performance) but with the "Ford Racing" branding. It's conservative so they don't get customers coming back saying "Your tune blew my motor/caused issues."

For long term engine health - not really. A properly "dialed-in" tune (for example: dyno tune) will be your best bet. That with consistent fuel, elevation, and maintenance will keep your engine running the longest.

·
Registered
268 Posts
It's all for $$$ my friend. Ford is basically selling the stock tune (with tiny more performance) but with the "Ford Racing" branding. It's conservative so they don't get customers coming back saying "Your tune blew my motor/caused issues."

For long term engine health - not really. A properly "dialed-in" tune (for example: dyno tune) will be your best bet. That with consistent fuel, elevation, and maintenance will keep your engine running the longest.

So how much better is a dyo tune from a speed shop then a bama tune buddy?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts