Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are alot of threads regarding Tuners, and I hate to bust in on someone elses thread and change the topic so I am going to start another.
Right now I have a Superchip Flash program on mine. I am having 3.73 gears installed in about a week, so I am thinking of changing to a bama tune. I am going to sell the Superchip flash programmer. Do I need to set the car back to stock with the Superchip programer or will the Bama tune do it for me? Will I see a diffrence in performance by swithcing to the Bama?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Yes you need to set your tuner back to factory settings if you get a new tuner. You might see a difference ive never done or seen a comparison between programmers. I have the preditor tuner and I hear good things about the bama tuners.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If you do purchase the BAMA Free Tunes for Life package you do not HAVE to flash the car back to stock, as they build tunes from their library of stock tunes which would override the tune in your car.

However, when you first connect an SCT tuner to your car it will read whatever tune is loaded and assume that is the stock tune--meaning that if you do ever wish to return the PCM to a real stock tune you will not be able to. It is always a good idea to start out with and preserve the original stock tune for your engine,

In the last, if you use the Superchips tuner to flash you PCM back to stock it will "unmarry" the tuner from your car making it a salable item, rather than a brick...

·
Registered
704 Posts
I don't recommend BAMA, it's just generic tunes sponsored by a big name company like AM (no offense to AM, I order everything from them except tuners!). I'd recommend Brenspeed or a similar professional company with in-house tuning that can work through an SCT.

Like Cliffyk said, you need to go back to stock tune so you don't screw the guy you sell your tuner to. The SCT takes your factory tune and stores it for later,

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Any mail-order tune from anywhere will not be a balls and all optimised tune. For a tuner that never saw, heard or smelled your engine to deliver anything but a "safe" tune would be foolhardy.

If you want a very good tune then pay someone who knows their stuff to do a hands-on tune, or learn to do it yourself and get the very best...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the Great info. There is a shop about an hour away that specializes in tunes. I think they are fairly new, an I have not heard much about them so I am a little skeptical of them at the moment.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Buy and read this book--Greg Banish's Engine Management: Advanced Tuning--before you go to a shop. That way you will have the background knowledge to keep an eye on them. There is not one bit of "rocket science" involved in tuning engines, in fact other than a very few fire breathers and "problem" engines it's like any other work and gets boring after a while...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts