Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shopping for tuners and until recently was sold on buying a sct x4 from Bama Performance. they offer 2 tunes and tunes for life. Now I'm considering a sct x4 from MPT who offers 3 tunes with a ghost cam option.

My question is, what would I want the 3rd tune for? I want a 87 tune and a race 93. What else would one want? I can buy 110 octane here but at $7 a gallon I doubt I'll ever get enough of that for a tune.

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
Lol at the "race" tune.
These marketing scams and how they get you guys

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
3,726 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Bama will give you a relatively safe tune but might not get the most out of your engine as far as performance goes. If you are looking for maximum performance, you really need to have the car dyno tuned by a reputable tuner. As you can see in my sig, I am running the Bama race tune. Does it perform better than the stock tune...yes, much better. Does it give me the most performance possible...probably not, but I don't track the car so that doesn't really matter to me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know what you mean. You can sometimes get really good advice here, but it can come from people that like to make you feel stupid. Whatever makes them feel better.

·
Registered
421 Posts
With Bama, they'll usually give you a set of premade tunes when you ask for an update. Recently they've been emailing out 2 at a time.

As with any tuner, do your diligence - datalog it and have revisions made. Bama tunes are usually very conservative on the first pass, but get much more dialed in with a few datalog sessions.

I commonly will install a tune, drive it a week, datalog it, get updated tune, drive a week, datalog again, get the tune revised a 2nd time, drive it week, and do a datalog for myself to check AFRs and the like. If I like what I see and the car is running good, I happily call it a day. I tend to run very comparable numbers to other guys with similar builds who went with other companies for their tunes.

I might not be getting 100% of what's available out of my build, but I'd estimate I'm at 95%...and that's very acceptable for me.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
2 tunes, 3 tunes, 5 tunes, whatever. Who gets multiple tunes just to run the baseline 87 tune? No one

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
753 Posts
I bought my 11 gt used with an sctx3 and the almighty bama tunes. When I finally got the time to put the cat deletes on the car, it came time to try those tunes out. The past owner had 3, 93 octane tunes on it which all felt identical to stock, and made my mpg take a 3mpg loss. The only tune that was semi good was the ghost cam tune which I found out fouls out spark plugs so I ran for one day but honestly was the weakest tune. I chose to buy an account with steeda and will never look back. I ordered a 91 and 93 octane tune and both feel faster than he 93 "race" bama tune. It's a whole new car and from 3k to 7k pulls the skin off your face. This is no lie, my girlfriend is with me everyday. She knows about the tunes but I never told her I got steeda tunes. The day I got the 91 I did a pull and she immediately asked why the car was pulling so much harder. Also when I called steeda they really sold me on the tunes because they keep many of the important ford parameters that are good for cold winter startups and keep the knock sensors to stock sensitivity. I don't know what magic they worked but the 91 I daily has more than impressed me while keeping good mpg and the 93 tune I tried once and it was too much for everyday. I'd go steeda if I were you.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I bought my 11 gt used with an sctx3 and the almighty bama tunes. When I finally got the time to put the cat deletes on the car, it came time to try those tunes out. The past owner had 3, 93 octane tunes on it which all felt identical to stock, and made my mpg take a 3mpg loss. The only tune that was semi good was the ghost cam tune which I found out fouls out spark plugs so I ran for one day but honestly was the weakest tune. I chose to buy an account with steeda and will never look back. I ordered a 91 and 93 octane tune and both feel faster than he 93 "race" bama tune. It's a whole new car and from 3k to 7k pulls the skin off your face. This is no lie, my girlfriend is with me everyday. She knows about the tunes but I never told her I got steeda tunes. The day I got the 91 I did a pull and she immediately asked why the car was pulling so much harder. Also when I called steeda they really sold me on the tunes because they keep many of the important ford parameters that are good for cold winter startups and keep the knock sensors to stock sensitivity. I don't know what magic they worked but the 91 I daily has more than impressed me while keeping good mpg and the 93 tune I tried once and it was too much for everyday. I'd go steeda if I were you.

I assume when you put the cat deletes on the car, you had Bama re-write your tune for you.
Do the free tunes for life carry through to different owners?

·
Registered
753 Posts
I assume when you put the cat deletes on the car, you had Bama re-write your tune for you.

Do the free tunes for life carry through to different owners?

The tunes were all for a catless mid pipe from bama. They were optimized for all my bolt ons down to the tire size.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I certainly got no problem looking into steeda.

Had steedas 91 tune. Huge difference from stock. Just had off road mid pipe and intake. Ran 12.67 at 113. I sold my stang, and the guy put a Lund tune on it. Ran a 12.5 at 115. Steeda puts down a nice tune, but there is definitely power left on the table proven via lund. That car to my knowledge never was dynoed so who knows the power difference between the 2. But the track times are there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Super Moderator
17,968 Posts
Everyone and their brother swears by VMP and Lund tunes. Check them out. At least the newer Mustangs come with a built in wideband so you don't need to install that after the fact. WAY too many ppl running around with canned tunes completely oblivious to what their AFR actually is.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
For the autos VMP has an excellent tune.

·
Premium Member
5,321 Posts
Everyone and their brother swears by VMP and Lund tunes. Check them out. At least the newer Mustangs come with a built in wideband so you don't need to install that after the fact. WAY too many ppl running around with canned tunes completely oblivious to what their AFR actually is.
:)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Had steedas 91 tune. Huge difference from stock. Just had off road mid pipe and intake. Ran 12.67 at 113. I sold my stang, and the guy put a Lund tune on it. Ran a 12.5 at 115. Steeda puts down a nice tune, but there is definitely power left on the table proven via lund. That car to my knowledge never was dynoed so who knows the power difference between the 2. But the track times are there.
We don't claim to make the most power ... we write our tunes within certain parameters that we know are safe & won't take our tunes past that point.

Now, we can do some data logging & look where we can make adjustments ... but most of our customers are very happy with the mix of safety, reliability & power.

Our tune will not harm or precipitate damage to your engine ... you are in good hands with Steeda!

Best Regards,

TJ

1 - 20 of 25 Posts