Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Tuning and Tires

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  DEvermore 
#1 · (Edited)
So, my car is one year old tomorrow. This is my seventh car, owned one after the other, typically traded up as I went. It's the third car I bought new and the very first car I have ever owned that has had absolutely NO problem. No recalls, no weird little fixes done. Nothing small and nothing major. (I'm picky. Very picky when it comes to my beloved ride.)

So naturally I decided my car deserves a birthday present. Well, several actually. I ordered just today my first mods -- 3.73 gears + kits and all, a CAI and Diablo Intune tuner.

In another month or two I'll probably go for summer wheels and tires. We had a really bad winter this year (actually typical where I live) so I'll be keeping my stock wheels and tires, likely to put something like the Blizzaks I had on my previous car for winter.

That brings me to my question for you guys. If I change my wheels and tires, do I need a new set of tunes from Bama? Maybe this is more of an AM question, but I already fired questions at them so I thought I'd give them a break. :) The reason I ask is because what wheels you have on *is* one of the questions Bama has. Does it really make that much of a difference? Am I going to have to ask for new tunes twice a year when I switch out wheels for winter?

thanks for reading,
D Evermore

See less See more
Discussion starter · #5 ·
Truth! My dealer said the same thing; they'll recalibrate the speedo when they install my 3.73 gears if I want them to. I sent in a question to Bama as to whether it would be worthwhile to do this. My thoughts were if my particular tuner (I ordered the Diablo Intune tuner) downloaded and saved this configuration then it might be useful to do that so I have it as a backup, just in case for some reason I don't care for the Bama tunes. But if the tuner won't save it anyway, then there is no point in asking the dealer to do that for me...

Anyway, I think you guys answered my question on the tire thing. I'm getting that it's really only important to ask for new tunes if the overall wheel + tire size has changed. Thanks all!

Discussion starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah, the Ford dealership. I'll ask. The guy who gave me a quote for the work said they could but who knows? Maybe he didn't really know.

He did say that they have changed out gears for GTs but that they hadn't done it for a V6 yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.