Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ME Bloodhound
Joined
·
14,699 Posts
Higher octane gas can be compressed more, so that means if you are tuned for it you get bigger combustion which = more power... That's just the basic principle behind it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,783 Posts
Soccerluvr4 said:
Higher octane gas can be compressed more, so that means if you are tuned for it you get bigger combustion which = more power... That's just the basic principle behind it.
? Your not making sense.
 

·
ME Bloodhound
Joined
·
14,699 Posts
A higher octane gas has the ability to be compressed more (or higher, whichever word you want to use). So when your cylinder compresses say 93 octane it can compress more than say 87 octane. What happens when something is compressed more and ignited? It makes a bigger explosion, and a bigger explosion means more power. But if you are not tuned for it then your car will still compress the same amount, which means that it wont matter if it is 87 or 93 because the compression is the same. Simple Chemistry and Physics
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,783 Posts
It makes a bigger explosion because of the higher octane rating. The only way to compress it more is by changing the pistons, or milling the heads.

---------- Post added at 09:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

Soccerluvr4 said:
A higher octane gas has the ability to be compressed more (or higher, whichever word you want to use). So when your cylinder compresses say 93 octane it can compress more than say 87 octane. What happens when something is compressed more and ignited? It makes a bigger explosion, and a bigger explosion means more power. But if you are not tuned for it then your car will still compress the same amount, which means that it wont matter if it is 87 or 93 because the compression is the same. Simple Chemistry and Physics
Your lost son
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,623 Posts
You're both right, but he is more so. Higher octane allows more compression of the fuel. More compression equals more release in power when it's combusted.

Yes, you can't add more static compression, but when you play with timing, you can change at what part of the piston stroke the fuel is ignited. That is what tunes do. The more detonation prevention to the fuel, the more timing can be advanced and previously untapped power can be utilized. Advancing timing increases cylinder pressures and you need the extra octane to prevent detonation.

What does it mean to advance timing? You're making the fuel combust before the piston has reached the top of its stroke. This means you have to actually compress the expanding gases, increasing cylinder pressure and thus the resulting pressure against the piston on the down stroke. This extra pressure on the pistons down stroke generates more power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,783 Posts
Sanguin said:
You're both right, but he is more so. Higher octane allows more compression of the fuel. More compression equals more release in power when it's combusted.

Yes, you can't add more static compression, but when you play with timing, you can change at what part of the piston stroke the fuel is ignited. That is what tunes do. The more detonation prevention to the fuel, the more timing can be advanced and previously untapped power can be utilized. Advancing timing increases cylinder pressures and you need the extra octane to prevent detonation.

What does it mean to advance timing? You're making the fuel combust before the piston has reached the top of its stroke. This means you have to actually compress the expanding gases, increasing cylinder pressure and thus the resulting pressure against the piston on the down stroke. This extra pressure on the pistons down stroke generates more power.
I'll give that an A+
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,824 Posts
You're both right, but he is more so. Higher octane allows more compression of the fuel. More compression equals more release in power when it's combusted.

Yes, you can't add more static compression, but when you play with timing, you can change at what part of the piston stroke the fuel is ignited. That is what tunes do. The more detonation prevention to the fuel, the more timing can be advanced and previously untapped power can be utilized. Advancing timing increases cylinder pressures and you need the extra octane to prevent detonation.

What does it mean to advance timing? You're making the fuel combust before the piston has reached the top of its stroke. This means you have to actually compress the expanding gases, increasing cylinder pressure and thus the resulting pressure against the piston on the down stroke. This extra pressure on the pistons down stroke generates more power.
Nerd mode activated!! Jk that was informational actually thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,694 Posts
Hit up Luis at Ortizperformance, he'll set you up with a great tune!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,837 Posts
Do they sell high compression pistons for the 3.7?
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top